VectorLinux
December 18, 2014, 08:20:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Light - install successful - Won't reboot into Linux  (Read 2811 times)
dprogram

« on: April 11, 2010, 03:28:08 pm »

After successfully installing the light version on my old laptop it was going to reboot for the first time. I removed the CD at the prompt and let it reboot. It did but all I have a blank screen and flashing cursor. I waited for an hour and then turned the system off. Tried multiple times to boot without the install cd but nothing. Any pointers?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 04:06:31 pm »

Something obviously didn't go exactly as planned. It happens.

You can boot into the installed system using the same CD. At the second spot where it asks you to press "Enter", read the instructions towards the bottom of the screen. The syntax will be something like "linux root=/dev/hda1 ro". If you installed to, say /dev/hdb5, enter that instead, then press Enter.

If that gets you to the login prompt, log in as root and run "vliloconf" to try installing boot loader again.
dprogram

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 04:50:50 pm »

Awesome! I'm a noob. I didn't install LILO. Installed LILO. Rebooted. went to vasm - set up user account b/c I had only set up one. rebooted. Logged in. Now Im at a prompt with my login name and :$

What is this? I was assuming there would be some sort of GUI at this point
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 05:25:26 pm »

Run "vxconf" to setup X. If it completes successfully, run "startx". If that is successful, run "vbootset", select "4". Reboot.
dprogram

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 06:32:39 pm »

Thanks. After trying vxconf it gave this:

No X found so bailing...

I'm guessing I need to setup Xwindows right? Im not sure if its installed
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 06:45:27 pm »

Did you select the optional "X11" packacage during install?
dprogram

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 06:52:16 pm »

Im not sure...probably not. Do I need a full reinstall?
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 06:56:25 pm »

Probably be the easiest way. Besides, it takes a fraction of the time that it would take to reinstall WIndows.  Grin

When I first started playing around with Linux many moons ago, I can't count the number of times I just said screw it and slapped the install disk back into the machine. 20 minutes later, I'm back up and running.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
dprogram

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 07:12:47 pm »

Just got to make sure I intall LILO and X11. Thanks again and I'll let ya know how things go.
lonestar

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 10:02:31 am »

Let me guess,
your Notebook has a S3 Savage video chip.

There is a bug in the xorg driver. In can't do a resolution of 1024x786 with 16bit color depth.
By choosing this setting the machine boots normal until X starts then you get a blank screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner - the way you described.

I got this a lot of times on my T22 thinkpad - lots of installation routines choose this setting by default.

You can avoid this bug by changing the xorg.conf to a color depth of 24bit (1024x768x24).

Hope it helps.
kole

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 09:54:44 am »

Can somebody, please, explain how to get into menu where one can choose to install X?
The other problem is it wont let me change root password and create user.
Thanks
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 10:23:05 am »

@kole, this is an old thread, and probably not applicable to your problem. Please start a new thread in this section and provide more detail.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: