VectorLinux
April 17, 2014, 04:29:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: i am at a loss, new to linux  (Read 1414 times)
warthance

« on: April 12, 2010, 07:34:36 pm »

i have tried to install ubuntu many many times and cannot get past the bash prompt. they say it has to do with the drivers for my ATI Radeon HD4890 video card. i have asked on their forums a million times about how to get the drivers and install them without ever making it to the desktop. never can get anyone to answer. i decided rather than play with them for weeks i would try this distro. i have never had any kind of experience with linux at all. my system is a 64bit system. is there a 64bit version? or should i just install the 32bit version? the reason i am migrating to linux is for 2 reasons...i am very curious, and next spring i will be taking a class on the unix system...would be nice to have a clue atleast when the class starts. i love to learn about operating systems, how they work and such. ok, ok ill cut it short ;-)
   which is the best version to install on my system, and if by some chance i cant get to my desktop after reboot...is there a way to fix this?
   oh, one more thing...i am duel booting with windows 7. i have a 460GB partition ready for this os...the partition has not been formatted at all, should i format it before i install or is there a program in the live cd that will make it the right format for this os?...thank you all in advance, and since i am a linux newborn, i will definitely see you all again...many many times in the near to extended future. thank you Huh
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 08:15:35 pm »

i have tried to install ubuntu many many times and cannot get past the bash prompt. they say it has to do with the drivers for my ATI Radeon HD4890 video card. i have asked on their forums a million times about how to get the drivers and install them without ever making it to the desktop. never can get anyone to answer. i decided rather than play with them for weeks i would try this distro. i have never had any kind of experience with linux at all. my system is a 64bit system. is there a 64bit version? or should i just install the 32bit version?

At present, there is no released 64-bit version, so the 32-bit is the way to go. If your machine is 64-bit, it sounds as though it is reasonably modern, so the Standard version should work.

the reason i am migrating to linux is for 2 reasons...i am very curious, and next spring i will be taking a class on the unix system...would be nice to have a clue atleast when the class starts. i love to learn about operating systems, how they work and such. ok, ok ill cut it short ;-)

Smiley

which is the best version to install on my system, and if by some chance i cant get to my desktop after reboot...is there a way to fix this?

Standard Gold would be the one to go for. It has two installation routines - one is graphical, the other text based. If the graphical installer works, there should be a fairly good chance that you will get to the desktop. If not, there are still a number of things that can be tried. I'm not familiar with the ATI you are using, but others here may be. Either way, you'll not know until you try.....

oh, one more thing...i am duel booting with windows 7. i have a 460GB partition ready for this os...the partition has not been formatted at all, should i format it before i install or is there a program in the live cd that will make it the right format for this os?...thank you all in advance, and since i am a linux newborn, i will definitely see you all again...many many times in the near to extended future. thank you Huh

For most Linux systems, I normally use 3 partitions - a / (root, not to be confused with the root or admin user's home directory), a /home partition (where user account information and user data is stored and a swap partition. The installer should allow you to create those paritions and will format them if you request it to do so. You will also have a selection of different file systems to use for the / and /home partitions - I use xfs most of the time, but you can select Reiserfs or ext3 as alternates. And since Linux doesn't care in the slightest whether it boots from a primary or a logical parition, I always use logical partitions for all three Linux partitions.

I would not suggest trying to install from the live CD - I think you would be better using the standard instal CD. It isn't entirely clear from what you say, but I presume that you have only tried the Ubuntu live CD, rather than installing the OS from the 'alternate' CD? If so, you will have to install a boot loader to provide a means of booting Linux after the install. Ubuntu uses Grub by default, where Vector uses Lilo. I've no experience of using Lilo with Windows 7, but it may be worth your while to install a copy of EasyBCD to your Windows 7 partition, so that you do not have to mess with the Windows 7 MBR. Others on here may be able to give you more direct information on using Lilo with Windows 7 though.

EasyBCD can be found here: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

If you need help, it would be useful to provide some information about the hardware you are using, and, if you hit problems, provide as much information as you can about any errors reported during the install.

Paul.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 08:53:28 pm »

A word of caution. I tried the EasyBCD route, and Win7 didn't like it at all on my notebook. GrannyGeek has a fairly detailed explaination somewhere around here of how she got NTLoader to work with her WIndows and Linux installations.

What I ended up doing was purchasing an external USB drive to be used strictly for Linux installations and leaving the Win7 installation completely alone on the hard drive. Currently I use GRUB on the USB drive and set the notebook to look for that drive first. If it's there, it boots to Linux. If I unplug it and start the notebook, it boots to Windows.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
warthance

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 10:20:26 pm »

well i have a couple problems. Cry  when i start the install disk my mouse stops working all together. that's really not a problem since i can just use the keyboard to navigate. when it comes to the "gparted" section...i make the choice to set my partitions from there...it sat for over an hour doing absolutely nothing saying it was scanning my devices. the HDD light wasn't even blinking, the light for the cd/dvd rom wasnt either.like i said it sat there for over an hour. any ideas? i guess i have to wait till i make it to my desktop to actually change my screen res to the correct 1366x768 res?
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 10:58:30 am »

One thing you could try is to use the text-based installer. At the prompt, (Press enter to begin installing...) type "linux" (without the quotes) and press enter to start it.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
warthance

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 07:40:57 pm »

ok...i have tried the text based installer. after going thru the partitioner, i think i got that part right. it starts the installation process and after just a seconds it comes up and says something has gone wrong not to panic blah blah blah...i try the gui based install and now my mouse OR keyboard doesnt work so i cant do anything. i am sooo lost and i dont wanna give up but the only linux system i can get to work is mandriva but i can seem to figure out how to use it. the forums seem dead and i just want to learn linux...thats all. mandriva seemed ok, but couldnt figure out how to download and install programs such as a bittorrent app and i couldnt get my sound to work at all.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 08:06:42 pm »

It is possible that your download is bad. Download the MD5SUM and
then try this tool:

http://www.md5summer.org/

After you generate an MD5SUM checlk to see if the MD5Sums match.

bigpaws
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 08:16:28 pm »

I tried the EasyBCD route, and Win7 didn't like it at all on my notebook. GrannyGeek has a fairly detailed explaination somewhere around here of how she got NTLoader to work with her WIndows and Linux installations.

Using the NT Loader works only up through Windows XP. Vista and Win 7 use a different approach that is much less transparent than the NT Loader. Apparently adding other operating systems to the Win 7 loader can be done but I haven't bothered to figure it out.

To boot VL on Vista and Win 7 I use the installation CD. I don't want to take a chance on making a horrible mess by installing LILO or GRUB in the MBR.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: