VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 08:05:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux-friendly standalone scanner  (Read 1737 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« on: April 15, 2010, 04:36:55 pm »

I am about to buy a good-quality standalone scanner. Based on recommendations from several people who are into serious graphics work. my preferences are the Epson Perfection V500 and the Canon CanoScan 8800F.

In checking their support under Linux, I couldn't find anything really current. Their Web pages didn't say anything about Linux support and what I found on the Web was not encouraging. However, it was also not current. Both scanners are listed as supported by Vuescan scanning software, but the list doesn't break things down for Linux. They suggest downloading their trial version and seeing if it works for the scanner. However, I'd like to know before I buy the thing because I'll have to order it online and don't want to have the hassle of returning it.

Does anyone have experience with or reliable knowledge about either of these scanners? My current scanners are a crappy Canon that's part of a multifunction printer, a crappy Lexmark that's part of an all-in-one printer, and good-for-its-time but ancient Microtek (1997). They all work under Linux
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 10:41:18 pm »

Check-out this site:

http://www.buzzard.me.uk/jonathan/scanners-usb.html

Googles "scanners for Linux". Lots of info.

BTW we have Brother all in one printer and are happy with the scanning for our needs.

Regards
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:46:08 pm by Pita » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 09:11:29 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions. Alas, the scanners-usb link was last updated in 2003. Sad

I did hit the jackpot, however. I posted in another Linux forum where I'm an active participant and someone who is serious about scanning said he has an Epson Perfection V500 and it works splendidly under Linux. He also uses VueScan software, likes it very much, and the Epson V500 is supported quite well. So I ordered one today and it should arrive by the end of the week.

I agree that scanners in all-in-ones are adequate for many needs. However, their specs do not match those of a more expensive standalone scanner, which is what I need. For example, the true optical resolution of the Epson V500 is 6400 dpi. It comes with a transparency adapter for slides and negatives. I need high resolution because many of the photos I'm scanning are very small and I'll be able to enlarge them to a size that's easily viewed.

I no longer print photos. I prepare them for viewing on a TV screen or computer screen.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
LLL
Global Moderator
Vectorite

The sun is shining...

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 07:51:39 am »

You are by far the coolest Granny ever. Thanks for sharing your find!

Lost & Lovin' Linux...living on:
VectorLinux 6.0 with XFCE on Thinkpad T43p (2.13 GHz | 2GB | 60GB)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 06:17:13 pm »

Don't rejoice too soon! The scanner has arrived and I've put it into place. I first set it up for Windows 7 because that's what the driver and included software work on. Everything is fine there. Okay, I determined that the scanner works.

So now to get it working under VL6 SOHO.  I downloaded the driver software (not from Epson) but of course (alas!) it doesn't come in a Vector or Slackware package. I first tried a RedHat rpm and ran rpm2tgz to convert it to a Slackware package.  I get an error message that it can't communicate with the scanner. I get the message whether I try as user or root. Okay. I'll remove the package tomorrow and see if I can compile the driver from source. If that doesn't work, I'll be here begging for help.<g>

My cyber friend who is using the scanner enthusiastically under Linux is running OpenSuse, I think.
--GrannyGeek

Hiero2

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 05:08:19 am »

Do you think maybe alien could do any better a conversion job than rpm2tgz?
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 09:07:05 pm »

Do you think maybe alien could do any better a conversion job than rpm2tgz?

I don't know. I've never used alien and I don't think it's included in a default VectorLinux installation, but it's in the repos. I'll download it and give it a try before I do a compilation attempt.

This may have to be on hold for a couple of weeks because I have a large scanning project and slideshow that need to be finished in 11 days and I don't have time to get the scanner working satisfactorily in Linux. I may have to do it in Windows, alas.
--GrannyGeek

argon99

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 09:40:51 pm »

I forget what company it is but you have to buy drivers for the epson perfection.  They are not open source.  It's been on my todo list for awhile now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: