VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 04:20:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Update or not?  (Read 504 times)
Pixie

« on: April 13, 2010, 02:27:23 am »

"Unfortunately at the moment, the VectorLinux repository is not yet as robust and debugged as a typical Debian package site. Consequently, it is highly recommended that users refrain from attempting full system upgrades. In other words, do not use the commands slapt-get --upgrade  or gslapt, Mark All Upgrades, Execute."

This is from https://vector.ecosq.com/ic/HowTos/HowToBook/VlApps/packages. I was wondering how updated this information is. I've just installed Vector and I love it, but after years of using Ubuntu and being used to just clicking "Update" without thinking twice and to always having the most current software, I find this warning above somewhat daunting. How will I know if the latest version of AbiWord or something isn't amazingly better than my own version if I don't try an update?
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 04:16:24 am »

For packages that reside at extra, patches and packges repositories is 99% safe to install or upgrade. The testing repository is for new packages that still in testing period. Just disable the testing repo from slapt-get or gslapt....

You can use slapt-get --update and slapt-get --upgrade to install latest update or use gslapt.....if you are an advance user, just pick what ever new or updated packages you want manually...

PS: Be prepare for any "rouge" packages that slip through the testing period. VL is still need in the providing update section compare to Ubuntu.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: