VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Update or not?  (Read 619 times)

Pixie

Update or not?
« on: April 13, 2010, 03:27:23 am »

"Unfortunately at the moment, the VectorLinux repository is not yet as robust and debugged as a typical Debian package site. Consequently, it is highly recommended that users refrain from attempting full system upgrades. In other words, do not use the commands slapt-get --upgrade  or gslapt, Mark All Upgrades, Execute."

This is from https://vector.ecosq.com/ic/HowTos/HowToBook/VlApps/packages. I was wondering how updated this information is. I've just installed Vector and I love it, but after years of using Ubuntu and being used to just clicking "Update" without thinking twice and to always having the most current software, I find this warning above somewhat daunting. How will I know if the latest version of AbiWord or something isn't amazingly better than my own version if I don't try an update?

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
Re: Update or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 05:16:24 am »

For packages that reside at extra, patches and packges repositories is 99% safe to install or upgrade. The testing repository is for new packages that still in testing period. Just disable the testing repo from slapt-get or gslapt....

You can use slapt-get --update and slapt-get --upgrade to install latest update or use gslapt.....if you are an advance user, just pick what ever new or updated packages you want manually...

PS: Be prepare for any "rouge" packages that slip through the testing period. VL is still need in the providing update section compare to Ubuntu.