VectorLinux
November 01, 2014, 03:26:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: strange application style  (Read 933 times)
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« on: April 17, 2010, 12:11:10 pm »

I've just installed VL6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic and I noticed that all non-KDE applications have this strange, hard, blocky looking interface style as seen in the Gslapt screenshot below. What can I do to fix this? With VL5.9.1 SOHO, I had a much nicer, rounded look to all these applications.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 07:16:55 pm »

Open Control Center, go to Appearance & Themes. Test out different themes and styles. You can find a lot more here: http://kde-look.org/
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 10:43:37 am »

Yeah, I looked at that but there isn't any style in there that corresponds to what I see in all the non-KDE apps. All the KDE apps use the styles and themes selected in the control center but all the non-KDE apps don't. I think the style that I'm seeing is the default gtk theme maybe? I'm thinking that something is wrong with Qt or GTK settings. In 5.9.1, there was a place in the control center under appearance and themes that was called Gtk Styles and Fonts or something like that. There, I could change whether or not non-KDE applications used the KDE styles. I haven't been able to find anything like that now. Is there a way to do something about that?

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 02:06:46 pm »

Try "GTK Theme Switcher" on the Menu under "Settings".
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 04:09:46 pm »

Hmm... The Gtk Theme Switcher can show a preview of the themes (an example application window with the widget styles applied) and it shows it exactly like I saw things in 5.9.1. It's just the preview window that's correct though. Everything else stays the same no matter what I switch the theme to.

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 01:17:58 pm »

I looked at a virtual installation of KDE-Classic that I had and it has no problems at all with gtk apps. I think the reason I have problems with this installation is that I used the same /home directory/partition as the previous 5.9.1 installation. Some carried over configuration files are probably messing it up. The question asked in this thread is solved now though.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: