VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 09:20:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: weird dependencies for OpenOffice.org  (Read 1095 times)
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« on: April 17, 2010, 02:07:18 pm »

I wanted to install the OpenOffice.org office suite so I looked it up in Gslapt, marked it and clicked execute. It showed the confirmation dialog and the packages that it would need to install. Some of the things it wanted to install were: gnome-keyring, libgnome, libbonobo, gnome-desktop, nautlis, and several other gnome things. I don't want the gnome desktop or any of that! The list of dependencies on the dependency tab in gslapt doesn't show any of that gnome stuff. Any explanations/solutions?

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 07:32:59 am »

Would it work if I downloaded the tlz for just openoffice and did installpkg? (To avoid the dependencies.)(I'm thinking that whoever built this package was using the GNOME desktop and so it pulled in all these GNOME dependencies.)

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 09:21:19 am »

Would it work if I downloaded the tlz for just openoffice and did installpkg?

Good thinking. It should.

The SOHO devs are working on a new version of OO.o 3.2. I took the .txz package, converted it to .tlz and installed on my KDE Classic. It works well for me. If you would like to try this unofficial package, download it from here: http://cincinnatix.com/vectorlinux/nightflier/openoffice.org-3.2.0_eng_US-i586-4vl60.tlz
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 06:42:48 pm »

Thank you! I installed it and it's working very well. An interesting thing though is that if I run it from the menu (which uses the command openoffice.org3 -writer) it comes up in its normal gtk style. However, if I run it with the old swriter command, it comes up and uses the blocky gtk style that I have normally been seeing in non-KDE applications. This problem is described here: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=11654.0

While I'm pleased that it is working and showing the correct gtk style, I still don't know why other applications aren't using that style like they are supposed to. Any help on that would be great.

On the topic of the weird gnome dependencies for the OpenOffice.org in the repo, I found another application (gtkam) which also wants all this gnome stuff. I'm not sure what to make of this except that these apps (and perhaps others) were probably packaged from a Gnome desktop environment causing it to pull in all those fake gnome deps. Is there anything that can be done about these packages?

EDIT: I just looked and found a bunch more packages with all those gnome deps. If you search gtk in Gslapt, there are a lot of packages that "require" gnome stuff.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 06:49:21 pm by Daniel » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: