VectorLinux
December 18, 2014, 06:56:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: slapt update notifier -the current state of stability?  (Read 569 times)
liveware

« on: April 18, 2010, 11:50:12 am »

I'm a Vector beginner, and I've never used a distro where you had to take control of your updates and patches, so I don't have much experience or knowledge of doing it the manual way. I'm trying to learn what I need to do to keep my Vector 6.0 system patched. I've read this page: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl60/manuals/vl6_slaptget_en.html

quote:
NOTE:VectorLinux 6.0 now includes by default the small daemon "slapt-update-notifier". This utility will check the VectorLinux repository and will pop-up a small notifier in the bottom right applet section of either KDE or xfce to inform the user when updates are available. If clicked gslapt will be launched. Please ensure that you do wish to do this. Although VL packagers are very careful at their job there is no guarantee that software updates will not break your system. You have been warned!
-end quote

I've read multiple places that suggest danger could ensue upon upgrading something. Its general computer knowledge that an un-patched system is vunerable also. To put it simply- Which is more dangerous: an unpatched Vector 6.0 installation, or blindly and routinely using the auto-updater?

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 05:15:06 pm »

What's the worst that can happen when you tell the updater to go for it? A borked system? Meh. Noooooooooo problem. Make sure /home is backed up, whip out the installation CD and you're back in business in under 20 minutes.  Grin

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
w2ibc
Packager
Vectorite

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 09:37:24 pm »

main thing when updateing is looking for packages that may have un-met dependancys. which gslap from what i can tell will not install something that has a unmet depend. also make sure your not using the "testing" repos as packages in testing can lead to breakage.

last update i did. WICD had a unmet dependancy which it didnt "update" it.

but as the above poster stated keep a backup. it helps just incase not only a borked system but hard drive failures also.

Linux Registered User #481509.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 03:59:42 am »

I believe your interpretation is incorrect. It is upgrading that is the problem. If you try
to upgrade from one Vector verion to another failures usually ensue.

You can use auto-updater without any problems.

The user that thinks a computer is an appliance is the most dangerous.

Bigpaws
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: