VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 02:04:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NewLaptopInstall  (Read 1077 times)
mike_lewis

« on: April 20, 2010, 07:32:38 am »

Smiley
I have been "shopping" for a Linux for my Dell 600 laptop.  I was not willing to get into programming or heavy configuration to "make it go".  I was happy when Vector came up and... even wireless worked.  Happy!  I did make a mistake the first time, choosing a bad video mode.  More modest settings worked.  A test mode button would be nice, other Linux's use this.

There are many out there with way less Linux "under the belt" and I would like to see the partitioning easier for them.  Perhaps defaults like:  "use whole drive and repartition automatically" or for those who insist on the buggy crash prone m.s. o.s. "automatically resize and partition", for the dual boot option.

My first XFSC desk top too.  Looks nice, so far the set up to personalize and get "my stuff" in it have worked quite well.  I also read some of the forum "how to's" before downloading and the instructions were well written and quite helpful. I found the new O.S. for my laptop. 

Good job and thank you Vector team!                ---mike
RonB
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 08:34:14 pm »

Smiley
I have been "shopping" for a Linux for my Dell 600 laptop.  I was not willing to get into programming or heavy configuration to "make it go".  I was happy when Vector came up and... even wireless worked.  Happy!  I did make a mistake the first time, choosing a bad video mode.  More modest settings worked.  A test mode button would be nice, other Linux's use this.

There are many out there with way less Linux "under the belt" and I would like to see the partitioning easier for them.  Perhaps defaults like:  "use whole drive and repartition automatically" or for those who insist on the buggy crash prone m.s. o.s. "automatically resize and partition", for the dual boot option.

My first XFSC desk top too.  Looks nice, so far the set up to personalize and get "my stuff" in it have worked quite well.  I also read some of the forum "how to's" before downloading and the instructions were well written and quite helpful. I found the new O.S. for my laptop. 

Good job and thank you Vector team!                ---mike
I'm missing my Vector Linux 6.0 Standard. For some reason, my GX270's power supply decided to crash and so I had to revert to my GX240 which is currently running openSUSE 11. But I should have a Power Supply and get back to my Vector Linux soon. (Actually had two computer power supplies go out on the same night -- and the other computer wasn't even turned on.)

Tomorrow I'm going to be installing VL 6 on my brother's Latitude D400 so I may let everyone know how that works out.

Welcome to Vector Linux, BTW. I haven't been here that long -- but I sure miss its speed right now. As for the partitioning, I agree that, for newbies, it's a little intimidating -- one reason I don't reason I don't always suggest VL for new Linux users. I haven't had any problem with the monitor install so far, however.

RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
Vector Linux Deluxe 6.0 -- Optiplex GX270
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 10:11:24 pm »

Welcome to Vectorlinux.
If you want to explore a few more tutorials try..Vectorlinux tutorials

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
mike_lewis

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 08:03:04 am »

Good work on the flash tutorial, I like it.  No telling how many handy pointers I can glean from even the basic ones.  Thank you.
Still looking for the whys on ext2, ext3 and xfs.  Ubuntu uses ext4.   Huh  The basic Gparted tutor said there is a file system tutor, I couldn't find yet.

I've used Linux years, the main PC was special ordered from (ugh) Walmart with Mandrake 7 pre-installed.  It does all the household business.  Open Office and GnuCash are the workhorses in the home office.  The laptop, is for my job, I tutor seniors on computers and use for lessons or introduce them to Linux.  (when I can)  Some of my students  living below poverty level, they find cheap computers at garage sales, and I load Linux to give an old tired crash prone computer new stable life.  So far they like.

Vector works well.  Lots of good information in these forums, if I read enough I'm sure I'll find answers to anything that comes up.  Thanks to all involved in bringing us Vector. Smiley
Mike
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 08:43:23 am »

There's a TON of info out there on the various file systems you can use. I found this little guide pretty good if you don't want to get into the nuts and bolts of the file system and exactly how it works.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=46199

I've been using EXT4 on the SOHO 6 RC with no issues found.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: