VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 05:08:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Auto wifi network connection in VL 6.0  (Read 638 times)
DannyM

« on: April 21, 2010, 09:37:44 am »

Hi I am a VL and linux newbie.  I managed to hd install VL 6.0L with Icewm?, to my HP mini note 2133.  I have wifi up, my card recognized and can connect to networks with WPA, thanks Vector!!!  If I could do it any newb can use vl with a little patience.
Now I am spoiled, and want to get my wifi to auto run and try to connect to stored networks.  I don't know how to do this.  I read 6.0 manual but it is beyond my technical ability.  Is this possible so that wifi will does not have to be manually started and connected everytime.  My broadcom b43 card is working great with vl.  VLwifi option in menu does not do anything that I can see.  Wicd is the way I get connected.  Can I get wicd to start with boot, is that what a deamon does?
Thanks for great distro!
By the way, my webcam works! No other distro I tried did that.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 11:09:42 am »

Wicd should have an option to automatically connect when you start it. You're not seeing that option?

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 03:00:54 pm »

Sorry, I missed the "L" in "VL 6.0L" the first time around, or would've responded already.

You're correct, wicd does need daemon for this. The point-and-click way is:

"Start" > System > VASM > Super > SERVICE > SRVSET   select a run level (usually 4, sometimes 2, can be both) and check wicd. If you only want wicd in gui, you don't need it in 2; if you want it in 2, you still have to select it for 4 also if you want it there. Vector stops services not requested in the next runlevel in a way different from many distros.

That got you the daemon (well, it will if you reboot or re-enter level 4). Now the client. I've upgraded wicd from the testing repository; the new name for client is "wicd-gtk". Sorry, but I can't recall the old name - it may be "vwicd-client". Find out for sure by doing: locate wicd | grep bin    to see if it's there. If you haven't upgraded, substitute the correct name for "wicd-gtk" in the line below and put it near the bottom of ~/.icewm/startup. Include the "&" so startup won't stop there.

Code:
sleep 2
#above line may be optional - use it if you have trouble without it
wicd-gtk&

If you restart, the daemon will start when X does, the client will start with your session. The first time, check the "connect automatically" box and connect to the desired AP. From then on, the connection should be fully automatic. If this doesn't work, please post back.

When the wicd upgrade moves to regular repo, or if you decide to get it from testing, the name change causes a harmless duplication in menus. The fix is here: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=11186.0

Light's a little more work than the others, but not much more. If you chose light in the first place, you'll be happy with the return on your effort.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: