VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 09:03:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Moving from Slackware Base?  (Read 4024 times)
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« on: April 24, 2010, 10:37:49 am »

Is it true?  I've heard "rumours" over in another forum lately:
http://tinyurl.com/38amd26
Vector Linux announced they were moving away from a Slackware base to built from scratch.
I actually would hate to see that happen.  Just wonder if that is really true.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 12:32:21 pm »

Just to cite  one exampe, I found something written by Caitlyn Martin in a reply comment here:  "@Marcel Geijsberts: When Vector Linux announced they were moving away from Slackware I started seriously looking for alternatives. That, plus the lack of a 64-bit release, finally made Vector a no-go for me. I've run SalixOS since November of last year and I have been favorably impressed. Expect a review from me in the not too distant future."

I haven't seen any such announcement.  Has there been such an announcement?

I just googled "vector linux moving away from slackware" and only found a reference to Ms. Martin's statement and a few similar things.

I am curious.

Tom

EDIT:  If it turns out that this is not true, I would like to see a public announcement somewhere to that effect, especially correcting Ms. Martin, since she is a well-known reviewer in the Linux world.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 12:45:59 pm by tomh38 » Logged

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 12:47:23 pm »

I would think that someone just heard some IRC chatter and blew it out of proportion.  It would be nice to get a clarifying statement from one of the developers, however.

Vector has been my number 1 choice of distro for years now, but I've used other Slackware based distro's that did not have the same magic for me.  I'm not so sure that we give the Developers here enough credit.  Perhaps it's not Slackware that makes this the slickest little distro around but the imagination, expertise, and creativity of the developers behind the project.

If we were to change, I'd like to see a rolling release model.  This may be easier on the development community as well, (evolutionize rather than revolutionize.  Also the ability to tie into a well established repository that wasn't going to break anything. Arch Maybe?

It is interest subject matter.  Even if it is all just speculation.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 01:48:39 pm »

Well,...(as far as that "other-Slackware-based distro")..I'm not a fan of that one-app-per-task, since only one app sometimes doesn't work for everything.  And because of my little dingy dialup service,....a rolling release is a little hard to maintain (lots of downloading equals PITA).  I just have loved Vector the way it is.  It's just been working so fine on my older stuff.  I've used Puppy on my computers,..but it's going off in different directions now (and the repos always were scattered around everywhere, anyhow).  Hopefully,...if there are changes in the air for Vector,....it won't stray very far from it's original intent. 
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 02:09:10 pm »

Hopefully,...if there are changes in the air for Vector,....it won't stray very far from it's original intent. 
I would agree totally with that. Speed and compatibility with older hardware are a mainstay.  However, older hardware is a relative term and the older hardware of today will be the ancient hardware of tomorrow. 10 years from now the old stuff will all be 64bit, dual core processors on 2 to 4 gigs of ddr2 ram.  So I can understand Caitlyn's belief that a 64bit version has importance.

It's to bad Caitlyn thought the answer was to jump ship.  She was part of the development community after all.  If she wanted a 64bit version why not just participate in making it happen.  There is a good base already started for VL 7.0 it just needs more people behind it.

You can find it here ftp://ftp-osl.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/Uelsk8s/test/v7/ 

As you can see it's Slackware based, so another reason I'm not so sure the rumors are true.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 02:25:14 pm »

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=10683.msg68536#msg68536

Masta states: "We have also began the core of VL-7, which will not be based on SLackware either. The team has been working on developing it's own core, which is intended to be in VL-7. Still too early at this point to be certain, but that was the idea. Of course it will still be Slack compatible."

Hope this adds to the confusion Cheesy
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 02:37:22 pm »

I would be very interested in the thoughts of the developers about "moving away from slackware". It would seem that such a change would increase the cost on their time but perhaps not. I have no doubt that VL will continue to maintain its current reputation of speed and stability.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
roarde
Vectorite

move the needle

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 03:00:48 pm »

There is a good base already started for VL 7.0 it just needs more people behind it.

Take me as an example. I can't say that I'll do any certain thing because of an extremely irregular work schedule. I'd love to know what little details the developers just can't get to and are putting off for now. I could look at them and do something as I have time and ability. Call it a "back burner". Certainly I'm not alone in this.

Two problems: Efforts will be duplicated. May return too much info to be parsed.

As for dupicated efforts,  if my work is "wasted" by it, I feel that just comes with the territory. In the main, I like the assigned task method, but it won't work for me.  The second problem would just have to be dealt with if encountered.

"Moving away from slack": no.  "No longer slack-based": yes!  They are two different things. I was going to ask for exactly what was described in newt's quote of Masta, but figured I was too new here. Looks like Vector is more automatic than I thought.

I'd like to see 64-bit right now, even tho my only machine is 32. Looks like 64 might wait for 7. It's a better decision, regardless of what I think I like. Might have a different answer if the comp was 64, tho.

Robert
VL Light 7.0, icewm/spacefm
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 03:49:37 pm »

Is it true?  I've heard "rumours" over in another forum lately:
http://tinyurl.com/38amd26
Vector Linux announced they were moving away from a Slackware base to built from scratch.
I actually would hate to see that happen.  Just wonder if that is really true.

Came here to ask the same thing... I know I took a brief hiatus from the forums, but I get the feeling that something was said and it's been taken out of proportion. I hope........

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 06:34:49 pm »

I guess the confusion here is the term "slackware based*. VL has always has its roots based on slackware methods and ideology but has diverged in several areas to make it more accessible to the average user and not just the linux elite. We will always use the slackware packaging system as I believe it is simple and less prone to dependency hell than the debian and redhat based systems. We will always abide by the kiss principle and avoid things like pam that make a simple system a complex security nightmare. We will always be slackware compatible in terms of a package from slacky.eu or linuxpackages.net will always work in VL. The comment from Masta about our own core system was kind of out of context in that we were looking at a possible portage way of building packages to help automate things but still using slackbuilds and the slack package system. So fear not we will remain slack based in the terms of what has been since VL's birth.

Cheers,
Vec
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 08:35:30 pm »

I guess the confusion here is the term "slackware based*. VL has always has its roots based on slackware methods and ideology but has diverged in several areas to make it more accessible to the average user and not just the linux elite. We will always use the slackware packaging system as I believe it is simple and less prone to dependency hell than the debian and redhat based systems. We will always abide by the kiss principle and avoid things like pam that make a simple system a complex security nightmare. We will always be slackware compatible in terms of a package from slacky.eu or linuxpackages.net will always work in VL. The comment from Masta about our own core system was kind of out of context in that we were looking at a possible portage way of building packages to help automate things but still using slackbuilds and the slack package system. So fear not we will remain slack based in the terms of what has been since VL's birth.

Cheers,
Vec
Indeed that is how it is. Thanks Vec for clearing that up. I send apologies to anyone if My post in the other thread caused any confusion. We are NOT leaving Slackware, we were just changing some things in Vecotrlinux's CORE, which is still different that Slack's, yet still based on it. And that probably makes even more confusion so I'll leave it at that, lol.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 01:07:41 am »

Thanks Vector & Masta for clearing that up.  I think most of us "VLusers" already knew that VL was a lot more than just Slackware with a couple of extras slapped onto it - otherwise you guys wouldn't have to put so much work into each release (each of which has been great and better than the previous).

Happy to be part of the Vector Linux family.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 06:22:13 am »

So fear not we will remain slack based in the terms of what has been since VL's birth.
<nitehawk sighs a very BIG sigh of gratitude and relief>
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 08:03:46 am by nitehawk » Logged
Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 10:42:29 am »

*Deach also sighs happily*

Inspiron 4000 Laptop, VL 6.0  600 mhz; 384 ram : Inspiron1100 VL 6.0
Inspiron B120 & B130 Laptop, VL 6.0  1. 4& 1.5  ghz; 1gig ram
IBM Thinkpad Laptop, VL 6.0  1.5 ghz;  1 gig ram
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 01:41:41 pm »

Thanks for the responses vector and masta. I am not particularly attached to Slackware though...just VL.  Wink

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: