VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 11:39:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Remove some kde-based app  (Read 1098 times)
mopac

« on: April 26, 2010, 07:03:47 am »

Hello!

I am testing the new Vector 6.0 KDE-Classic on a Virtual Machine, but I forgot to choose the packages at the setup process. Now I realized that I have some programs I don't need, like KOffice and some other KDE-stuff. I have tried to remove the software using gslapt or the command line, but they are still there?

Any specific way to do it in Vector, I am sorry It is my first time using .tlz, and I don't remember KDE to much, but I have to use it for some projects.

Thank you,

Mopac

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 10:00:38 am »

Open a terminal and run (as root) the command: removepkg <name of package>

Replacing <name of package> with the name of the package you want to remove. (The name can be found by searching in Gslapt. As an example, to remove Koffice (the default version of Koffice that comes with 6.0 KDE-Classic) you would use the command: removepkg koffice-1.6.3-i486-7

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
mopac

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 09:12:23 am »

Thank you Daniel, I didnt notice that the name of the package include 1.6.3-i486-7. To be honest I did it with gslapt in the first attempt and then, Koffice appeared unistalled in the gslapt, but it was there in the menu and the app are still available in the command line as well.
I will try doing everything from console as I like.

Thank you very much.

Mopac
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 11:13:46 am »

G-slapt should generally not be used for removing packages. It is often too aggressive and removes dependencies that other apps need. In your case, it seems it wasn't aggressive enough.<g>

I always use removepkg to uninstall packages. It just takes out the ones you name and leaves the rest alone.

I wish this were mentioned somewhere where users, especially newbies, could see it.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
mopac

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 01:52:36 pm »

Hello & thanks again for the replies.

Yes I knew that gslapt is very agressive unistalling, but in this case I wanted to be agressive, because there are many stuff I dont need, like Kontact KadressBook, Knotes, I wanted to remove that things and I still cant fine the name of the packages with the koffice was very simple. but How can I find the name of the rest.

Any help is more than welcome!

cheers
Mopac

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 02:01:01 pm »

VectorLinux's package naming convention is: name-version-arch-build

To find the package name of a package in Gslapt, search for it and then note the version. For koffice, the version (as listed by Gslapt) is 1.6.3-i486-3

Translating to the full package name then it would be: koffice-1.6.3-i486-3vl60

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 03:01:17 pm »

Yes I knew that gslapt is very agressive unistalling, but in this case I wanted to be agressive, because there are many stuff I dont need, like Kontact KadressBook, Knotes, I wanted to remove that things and I still cant fine the name of the packages with the koffice was very simple. but How can I find the name of the rest.

I would say you *don't* want aggressive removal because aggressive removal doesn't limit itself to what you want to remove and sometimes it removes so much that your system will no longer work right.

I suggest looking through /var/log/packages to find packages that start with kde. If you use Midnight Commander and highlight the name of the package, hitting F3 displays the contents of the text file. If you look inside the likely suspects for the names of what you want to remove, you'll then be able to remove just that package with removepkg nameofpackage. Kontact and Kaddressbook are in kdepim (partial name).

Some kde programs are contained in kdebase and kdelibs. You need those in order to run kde programs at all, so leave them there. For example, you can't remove just Konqueror. It's in kdebase.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
mopac

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 04:56:19 pm »

Thank you very much, that's all what I need it to clean my system. I am sorry, for those that like so much app, but I get confuse with so many option to do the same thing.
Once more time thank all of you!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: