VectorLinux
September 30, 2014, 02:15:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: SOHO RC2 Bug Reports and Suggestions  (Read 7235 times)
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 12:16:22 am »

Bonjour!

RC2.1 came out already, let's try it  and check whether rt2500 wifi usb card would get connected to routers for surfing.....,
http://ftp://ftp-osl.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-6.0/iso-test/RC2toRC2.1.delta
http://ftp://ftp-osl.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-6.0/iso-test/VL6.0-SOHO-RC2.1.iso
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 11:03:08 am »

Downloaded, installed. No major problems. Well, except that the UID is still set incorrectly when creating a new user. And this, which is very silly on any modern distro (~/.bash_profile):

Code:
#LOCALES ADDITIONS MADE BY THE VL GUI INSTALLER
export LANG=en_US
'set xkbdmap -model pc105 -layout gb'
END OF MODIFICATIONS MADE BY THE VL GUI INSTALLER

Assuming that the locale should be en_US is stupid, especially when the keyboard layout selected is UK. It would be nice if this was done correctly.

Sad Keyboard layout in console is still defaulting to US. I'm about ready to give up. This has been broken since the very first alpha and is still broken.

There is also something seriously wrong with the terminal. If I set /etc/profile.d/lang.sh correctly for my locale (en_GB.utf8) mc is unusable in Konsole. This works correctly with every other distro I've ever run, including VL6.0 standard. Don't know if this is a KDE bug or a VL bug, but its really annoying.

I lost track of the SOHO development a few weeks ago, but I think you guys need a couple of things clarified.
First of all: The LANG variable on .bash_profile comes from your language selection on the GUI installer. Of course it will default to en_US because we only have one (US) English translation for the installer. When someone submits a en_GB translation, it will gladly change it for you.

This is why the LANG variable remain at en_US while your keyboard layout is set to gb.

One thing to note. The locale settings from the gui installer affect the DESKTOP... the GUI.. not the text interface. This is intentional... I do not want to jack with the text interface... that's why it's a GUI installer.

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 04:16:30 pm »

I tried to load RC2 and now 2.1 on my laptop (HP Pavilion dv9820) and it fails after selecting the default monitor resolution. The message is:
There was an error in your X configuration. Please edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file as autoconfig must have stumbled somewhere! Sorry but this happens sometimes.
Then I get:
Init: Switching to runlevel: 6
which reboots the machine. I've tried several different resolutions and even tried to cancel the process. My laptop has a Nvidia GeForce Go 7150M graphics adapter which has not been an issue until now (although I've not tried to load SOHO until now just VL6 Std and Classic).

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2010, 05:54:52 pm »

Downloaded, installed. No major problems. Well, except that the UID is still set incorrectly when creating a new user. And this, which is very silly on any modern distro (~/.bash_profile):

Code:
#LOCALES ADDITIONS MADE BY THE VL GUI INSTALLER
export LANG=en_US
'set xkbdmap -model pc105 -layout gb'
END OF MODIFICATIONS MADE BY THE VL GUI INSTALLER

Assuming that the locale should be en_US is stupid, especially when the keyboard layout selected is UK. It would be nice if this was done correctly.

Sad Keyboard layout in console is still defaulting to US. I'm about ready to give up. This has been broken since the very first alpha and is still broken.

There is also something seriously wrong with the terminal. If I set /etc/profile.d/lang.sh correctly for my locale (en_GB.utf8) mc is unusable in Konsole. This works correctly with every other distro I've ever run, including VL6.0 standard. Don't know if this is a KDE bug or a VL bug, but its really annoying.

I lost track of the SOHO development a few weeks ago, but I think you guys need a couple of things clarified.
First of all: The LANG variable on .bash_profile comes from your language selection on the GUI installer. Of course it will default to en_US because we only have one (US) English translation for the installer. When someone submits a en_GB translation, it will gladly change it for you.

This is why the LANG variable remain at en_US while your keyboard layout is set to gb.

Ok, didn't realise that. However, if that is the case, don't do it at all! /etc/lang.sh controls localisation, adding this to ~/.bash_profile is simply confusing, especially since it is anything but transparent. Remove it completely and leave localisation where it should be.

One thing to note. The locale settings from the gui installer affect the DESKTOP... the GUI.. not the text interface. This is intentional... I do not want to jack with the text interface... that's why it's a GUI installer.

Sorry, but there are two points that need to be made here. First, the GUI installer in Vl6.0 did not leave one keyboard layout for X and one for console. It took the keyboard layout selected during install and applied it to both console and X. Why can this version of the installer not manage it?

Second, if it must have this limitation, I personally think you might as well junk the GUI installer completely. It leaves the system less than properly set up. Go back to the text version, at least it was consistent. If the GUI is supposed to make it easier for newbies to get the system set up, it needs to set the system up properly. Having different layouts in console and X is simply going to confuse people. And while many people may never use console, there are too many time when it is the only way to fix things, so leaving it this inconsistant should not be an option.

I'll also add that I know of no other GUI installer that will allow you to select a keyboard layout but not apply it fully to the system.

Paul.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2010, 08:13:31 pm »

Junk the Installer !?!?
over that issue? I mean M0E (and Uelsk8s) has been working seriously hard on this thing for 2 years,  all out of generosity. The installer has gained HUGE leaps over the previous. I just think that might be a little too harsh and unencouraging there.

You work hard on the stuff you do too, and you do an excellent job at it constantly. I would not think to say something like that to you

Maybe I read that wrong, and you didn't mean it the way I perceived it?

Onward:
 I am not sure on a good solution for the Lang selection part. I do see a suggestion in there, not sure how that could be implemented into the current design of the installer. It might be worth a shot though.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2010, 04:40:39 am »

Sorry, but there are two points that need to be made here. First, the GUI installer in Vl6.0 did not leave one keyboard layout for X and one for console. It took the keyboard layout selected during install and applied it to both console and X. Why can this version of the installer not manage it?

Second, if it must have this limitation, I personally think you might as well junk the GUI installer completely. It leaves the system less than properly set up. Go back to the text version, at least it was consistent. If the GUI is supposed to make it easier for newbies to get the system set up, it needs to set the system up properly. Having different layouts in console and X is simply going to confuse people. And while many people may never use console, there are too many time when it is the only way to fix things, so leaving it this inconsistant should not be an option.

Your first point is absolutely not true. The 6.0 Installer wich is an older version of what you're playing with and developed by myself too, did nothing for localization. It simply offered the option to run the install process in the language of your choice, but did not affect the system at all.

As for your second point, why dont you work on something that works for both the text and GUI system? AFAIK, X is a very flexible in this matter and can be set to whatever you wish to, even if this is completely different than the text interface.... My idea was to setup what the users will see. Most people wont see the text interface, they're go right to the gui. And FWIW, I'm writing this on a VL box running one of the earlier SOHO betas, and we dont even have a /etc/lang.sh there. I'm now curious where you may have gotten that idea from.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2010, 05:49:25 am »

Something that happens every now and then, and I have no idea what causes it:

Code:
2010-05-07 05:24:35 bodacious avahi-dnsconfd[3432] connect(): Connection refused
2010-05-07 05:24:44 bodacious dhcpcd[3395] recvfrom: Network is down
2010-05-07 05:27:52 bodacious dhcpcd[3615] terminating on signal 1

Of course, when this happens, wireless doesn't work and a reboot is necessary.

Today was just filled with "strange" when I fired the system up this morning. First was dnsconfd not firing up. Rebooted, and then Opera failed to recognize the plugins (all of them). Restarted Opera and that was fixed. Must be allergies. Mine are raging this morning, too. (For lack of a better explaination.  Grin )

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2010, 07:37:40 pm »

Does this come from a cold start or doesn't seem to matter?
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2010, 05:17:50 am »

When it happens, usually it's from a cold start, although I have had one or two instances where it's failed to start on a reboot.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2010, 06:48:56 pm »

I agree with Masta, there is a respectful way of expressing our gripes  without sounding disrespectful to these hard-working Vector members.
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2010, 02:47:27 am »

To that question about the Soho  on older  computers ....

It may work with 512 GB of ram, but will it work with flying colors?

"Working," neglects factors such as "working well."

Does Compiz or KDE special effects work smoothly and quickly, or does it even work at all?

Can it play the hottest Linux games (just to test your graphic card processing power)?

Can it multi-task, awhile listening to the some internet radio station.

Does it have the speed and room to run Virtual Box?

Do large programs take a long time to load, or do your computer take long to download?

Is boot-up and shutdown taking too long?

I know many people who will buy a $500 computer then will complain about the speed.

Why frustrate yourself and waste time, too?

Just compare the data transfer speeds of USB 1.0 with USB 3.0.

These are modern times, which demands modern hardware.

Computers are way too advance machines to run on primitive hardware.

High-tech software compliments high-tech hardware.

I can't imagine Bruce Lee's mind (back in his days) in a morbidly obese one-legged man's body.

When the time is right, it'll be time for an optimal computer that's ready to surpass any undertaking.  Cool
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 03:37:07 am by prince » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: