VectorLinux
September 18, 2014, 01:25:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: SOHO RC2 Bug Reports and Suggestions  (Read 7126 times)
monfen

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 04:27:09 am »

Hello to all Vectorians!
I am very pleased with this new RC2 of VL6.0 SOHO. The installation process is faster and optimized, too... Smiley
I love the lightning speed of Vector Linux, achieved even with this SOHO edition!!!
Excellent performance! And so many goodies!!! Great work!

I have problems with correct system time, while I have installed VL6.0 KDE-Classic-Live Beta 2 and VL6.0 SOHO RC2 on the same machine. When I adjust the clock to internet server with one of the VLs the other outputs incorect system time- time in the future when starts loading and checking file system.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 04:33:52 am by monfen » Logged
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 08:33:21 am »

tried  rc2,the ralink 2500 chip based 2 wifi usb still not working properly yet, while this time both wifi work for while when first booting into rc2, then the laptop crashed and hang, rebooting  into  kde4, the usb wifi  can scan the network, but couln't get connected , it prompted "bad password" finally again...

here's output  of "" lsusb"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 14b2:3c02 Atheros Communications Inc C54RU WLAN
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 2001:3c00 D-Link Corp. [hex] DWL-G122 802.11g rev. B1 [ralink]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
any commands to fix it up?

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 02:20:10 pm »

Couldn't take "no" for an answer and attempted to install the fglrx driver again from console. Received the following:

Code:
root:# vasm
Detecting Hardware
==================================================
 ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
==================================================
which: no XFree86 in (/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11/bin)

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
default:v2:i686:lib::x710:2.6.31.11; make sure that the version is being
correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

/sbin/vxmenu: line 34:  6427 Terminated              $vdir/vxconf

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 03:38:59 pm »

I installed htop and hardinfo today. I am surprised they aren't included in the ISO, as they have been indispensable tools for me. Is there a reason they aren't in the ISO?

When I tried to run Gwenview and Digikam, I got an error message about a missing libexiv2. so.5. I made a symlink to libexiv2.so.6.0.0, ran ldconfig, and both Gwenview and Digikam started. Both programs throw up loads of error messages as they start and run, but the programs seem to run fine. I haven't tried them with my digital camera, as I never hook up the camera but I transfer files from the memory card in a card reader and use a file manager for that.

I wanted to see if I had retired1's problems with media players when I tried to watch a commercial DVD. (I downloaded and installed gxine and vlc from the repos.) gxine and Dragon played the DVD without problems. Dragon seems very barebones, but it did the job. mplayer played the DVD without problems, but I couldn't find a way to get to the DVD's menu. Therefore I was unable to play from the very start of the DVD, though it did start at the beginning of the movie itself. It doesn't seem very useful if I can't get to the menu for the DVD. vlc didn't work at all. I got the same messages as retired1. I didn't pay a lot of attention to them as I was mostly interested in whether the DVD would play, not why it wouldn't. I haven't tried vlc with playing music yet.

I am getting better glxgears scores with the xorg radeon driver than I did in RC1. No idea why.

RC2 is running very well with XFce 4.6.1.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 04:05:31 pm »

For Vector SOHO to succeed, as we all desire, then, some significant changes need to occur, IF the leaders seek to continue advocating its use with OLD computers, in my opinion.  It is impossible for me, to accept the argument that several VL forum members have proposed, namely, that "old" computers, i.e. PIII era devices, are beyond help, and one should not expect a modern Linux distro to operate effectively on them, i.e. they are best suited for disposal at the nearest trash receptacle.  I write "impossible" because I have just installed both bloatware king Mandriva, and the newest alpha on the block, from CrunchBang (Debian based), EFFORTLESSLY on the same two "old" computers.  Why should I expect or accept anything less from VL?

Let's be realistic here. VL6 SOHO is at RC2. There's NO WAY the devs are going to make the major changes you want to see in this release. It's too far along in the development cycle. We're at the stage of finding and fixing bugs in the release candidate *as it is now*. Certainly suggestions are welcome, but they're not gonna happen with this release.

It is impossible for me, to accept the argument that several VL forum members have proposed, namely, that "old" computers, i.e. PIII era devices, are beyond help, and one should not expect a modern Linux distro to operate effectively on them, i.e. they are best suited for disposal at the nearest trash receptacle.

Nobody has suggested that a modern Linux distro should not operate effectively on an old computer. What we've suggested is that SOHO is not the right distro for that. VectorLinux *does* offer a version targeted at old computers, namely, VL Light. Also, if you read the notes about the different versions of VectorLinux, SOHO has always been suggested for newer hardware, with Light designed to run well on older hardware and Standard in the middle. Your hardware is not all that behind the times as you've suggested (1.13 PIII with half a gig of RAM). I'd consider that a bit light on RAM for SOHO (my 1.3 GHz Celeron has a gig), though I do run Light on a laptop with 512 megs. Your problem seems to be related to your video cards. I don't know if they're uncommon or how well supported they are in xorg. Hey--don't say PIIIs are abandoned. I'm writing this from a PIII-class computer and have NO hardware problems. This computer happens to be very Linux friendly and every version of VL has worked well on it. It runs notably faster than XP, which is also installed though I seldom use it. It also feels like it runs faster under XFce than under KDE.

One of the glories of Linux is choice. My own feeling is that if VL SOHO doesn't meet your needs and some other distro works well with your hardware, use that. It's not a contest to make VectorLinux the most popular distribution, supporting all imaginable hardware.

As for saying "for Vector SOHO to succeed," Vector SOHO has *already* succeeded. SOHO has been around for many years. It's past that stage of needing to succeed. Nor does using Linux in a "small office" environment require the used of the VL version called SOHO. As far as I know, there's nothing related to a small office that can't be done equally well in Standard or even Light. All VectorLinuxes are highly customizable and the user can make them into anything he/she wants by adding or removing the appropriate packages. I don't know why SOHO is called SOHO; it could just as well be called "VectorLinux Heavy," but that sounds weird.

If Crunchbang or Mandriva meets your needs better, it certainly doesn't bother me if you choose to use those instead of Vector.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 07:24:02 pm »

nstall went well until running the nvidia-latest which failed to install. The info in the /var/log/nvidia-installer.log states that the gcc version to compile the kernel was 4.2 but the current version is 4.4. "The kernel module loader rejects kernel modules built with a version of gcc that does not exactly match that of the compiler used to build the running kernel."
Oops new I forgot something in regards to the upgraded gcc so I rebuilt the kernel packages you can find them here:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/test/kernel/kernel-2.6.31.11-i686-1vl60.txz
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/test/kernel/kernel-modules-2.6.31.11-i686-1vl60.txz
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/test/kernel/kernel-src-2.6.31.11-i686-1vl60.txz

Just download somewhere  convenient then do upgradepkg -r *.txz
When finished if your using lilo do /sbin/lilo if grub you should have to do nothing.
Please test by trying the nvidia drivers again and in general to make sure all is ok.

Thanks,
Vec
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 07:26:16 pm »

Getting a 404 Not Found error.  Grin

NVM... Working now. Smiley

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 07:48:04 pm »

Working fine here. Doesn't do anything for what I've been experiencing, but the upgrade does work. Smiley

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 12:04:01 am »

Installed beautifully.  Tested out only a few things so far.   I can not open my Samba shares from my Mythbuntu machine, also when when I created a shared folder on Soho I could see it from my other boxes but could not open it.  I had better luck with VLC than some.  I was able to download from Gslapt and used the program without any difficulty.

Just a thought.  Didn't Daniel create an application that would allow the user to create there own custom boot splash image.  This would be nice to see included in Gslapt utilities.  It's a nice companion piece for VLbspash-switch.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 04:10:16 am »

Please test by trying the nvidia drivers again and in general to make sure all is ok.

Nvidia drivers build as expected. Now getting KDE crash when gkrellm is running. Here's the line in the syslog:
Code:
04/29/10 08:04:04 am asrock kdm[5030] X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 05:14:52 am by MikeCindi » Logged

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 05:36:03 am »

Getting a different error with VLC with the kernel upgrade:

Code:
VLC media player 1.0.5 Goldeneye
LibVLC has detected an unusable buggy GNU/libc version.
Please update to version 2.8 or newer.
'[0xb6b006e0] main interface error: no interface module matched "globalhotkeys,none"
[0xb6b006e0] main interface error: no suitable interface module
[0x804caa0] main libvlc error: interface "globalhotkeys,none" initialization failed
[0x804caa0] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 4.1.3
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.10 for DVD access
libdvdread: Can't stat ???s▒
No such file or directory
libdvdnav: vm: failed to open/read the DVD
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.10 for DVD access
libdvdread: Can't stat ???s▒
No such file or directory
[0x84785f0] dvdread demux error: DVDRead cannot open source: ???s▒
[0x812d120] main access error: no access module matched "dvd"
[0xb6b07e58] main input error: open of `dvd://???s' failed: no access module matched "dvd"                                                                               
bodacious:/~

Still getting the same error with xine.

Been doing a bit of reading on this, and it does appear to be a video issue. Primarily, it's been the Intel chipsets, however mine is ATI.  Still digging around to see if I can find some type of solution.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 05:50:44 am »

Tried setting up with the radeon driver and an x.org configuration. No go. **sigh**

caieng

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2010, 08:39:02 am »

Quote from: GrannyGeek
If Crunchbang or Mandriva meets your needs better, it certainly doesn't bother me if you choose to use those instead of Vector.
Thanks GG, I am fairly certain that most Vectorites share your sentiments....
yeah, maybe I am out of line here, for having suggested the need for more careful scrutiny of the behaviour of VL-6 SOHO installed on "old" computers.  You are certainly doing very well, obviously, with your own "old" computer, so, it could easily be the case that I have half a dozen odd motherboards/video controllers/chipsets which are aberrant.  I have attempted to install VL-6 SOHO RC-2 on several devices, all of them meeting with failure.

It is not the case the "Crunchbang or Mandriva" better suit my needs, in fact, several other distros, besides those two, ALSO install flawlessly on this same ten year old, "obsolete", hardware, including Puppy Linux, PCLinuxOS, and Ubuntu.  It is the case, that I cannot succeed in installing VL-6 SOHO RC-2 on this same hardware.  My goal here, in writing this is simply to sound a note of caution, prior to the forthcoming release:   THE INSTALLER is imperfect, and needs better testing, that's all I am trying to communicate.  If no one else on the forum has any difficulty installing VL-6 SOHO RC2 on "old" computers, then we should conclude that I personally am unskillful, rather than that there is something imperfect in the Installer--i.e. simply ignore these posts.

I do not share your opinion that there is something so overwhelming about VL-6 SOHO, that it is ill-suited for a system with "only" half a gigabyte of RAM.  Of course I am so far behind the times, that I still regard that fabulous upgrade to 16 megabytes of RAM that we made a quarter century ago, as some kind of miraculous adventure, quadrupling the amount of volatile memory available!  I am reminded of the SUSE 11.3 installer, which came to a grinding halt, last week, to interrogate the user, me, as to the proper course of action to take, because my system had less than 1 gigabyte of RAM....What a joke.

Hey GG, were you the Vectorite who recently posted, I think on this thread, don't remember now, something about NOT INSTALLING GRUB to the hard drive, because of anticipating some sort of problems with GRUB?  Holy Cow.  What's that?  Please try any one of those other distros mentioned above, to see how effortlessly the installation proceeds!!

Cheers,
CAI ENG
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2010, 09:40:36 am »

Some idiosyncrasies have cropped up with this release.

Been trying to snag the VL7 core ISO all morning. Keeps bugging out with an error. Able to resume, but not sure if I'm going to have a good ISO at the end of it.

Sound is wonky and it's not something I can reproduce accurately. At times, Amarok will state that the sound device isn't functioning. Reboot and all is good. Flash videos same thing. Sometimes sound just doesn't work. Reboot, and all is good. This happens after the system has been up for a few hours. (I'm treating the RC2 as a primary OS and trying to do all my day to day stuff in it).

Went hunting through the logs and there aren't any entries that indicate any type of error when this occurs.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010, 11:23:27 am »

Some more "weirdness".

Volume control wheel on the notebook no longer works.

For some reason, compositing suspended itself. Turned it back on and seems to be holding for now.

Edit -- None of the notebook controls are working now. Sad

Edit #2 - Reverted back to no xorg configuration file and controls are working again. **scratching head**
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 01:17:59 pm by retired1af » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: