VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 06:49:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WiMax - 4G Wireless Internet  (Read 1458 times)
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« on: April 27, 2010, 01:34:14 pm »

Anyone trying this on VL? The area I'm in right now is offering a decent deal on 4G access and I'm seriously contemplating it. However, before I pull the trigger on it, I'd definitely want to know I can get it to work with VL.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 02:02:19 pm »

I am using the 3G Sprint MiFi2200 and it works great with VL.....

Please be aware that the 4G units are backwards compatible and will be available long before the 4G network has been built out. You may want to verify true 4G availability in the locations where you will be using the service.

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 03:21:42 pm »

Oh it's definitely WiMax. Provider is Clear and they're pushing a lot of ads in the Pacific Northwest. They signed a deal with Sprint a couple of years ago to incorporate into their 4G network as well. Going to research it some more. It appears there aren't any Linux packages yet for 4G service. Clear has stated they are going to release their drivers for open source development, but as far as I know, this hasn't been done yet.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 08:10:29 pm »

Been doing a LOT of reading on this, and it looks favorable.. Maybe.....

The kernel since 2.6.29 has the WiMax standard built into it apparently for the Intel 2400 chipset. Soooooooooooo. If I can find a USB modem that incorporates this design, I should be golden.  Grin

never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 10:08:07 am »

Look at the portable WAP products - MiFi. About as big as a business card holder, better throughput than the USB devices, able to connect multiple devices AND (the best part) you connect to a WPA encrypted WAP via Wicd just like you would at home.....No special drivers or processes needed.

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 10:50:19 am »

Clear offers something similar, however, I'm not sure I want to be advertising myself as an available hotspot. Sure, I can lock it down, but I'd still have morons hammering it in an attempt to connect.

There are many pros and cons to getting the service. While I do have access to DSL at my current location, I'm looking for something faster and Clear is advertising some decent speeds. However, as with 3G, cell saturation is a definite issue in areas where the company is heavily advertising for more customers. I suspect I'd be OK  here, but traveling elsewhere in the area I suspect will bring with it the headaches associated with cellular data access. I like the idea of being able to be mobile on the notebook and still get access, but if I start running into issues with cell saturation, I'm not going to be a happy camper.

Ideally, I'd like to find someone close by who has the service and do an actual test. Maybe I'll "rent" the equipment initially and see how it goes. If it works to my satisfaction, I'll pull the trigger on getting the full blown mobile service.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: