VectorLinux
November 24, 2014, 12:03:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 4pane update  (Read 1268 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: March 24, 2010, 07:25:43 pm »

I think its version 0.5 that's in the repositories.  4pane 0.7 has been out a while now.  I find myself using 4pane rather than thunar more and more often.  4pane is harder to learn, but I think its often better at moving files around the hard drive, i.e. after downloading files to /tmp I generally use 4pane to move them to their proper place.

If I recall correctly, 0.7 is not hard to compile but it would be quite nice if it was in the repositories.  Main improvement that I see is that 0.7 easily allows for American date format. i.e 3/24/10 rather than 24/3/10.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 12:12:22 pm »

I built it a while ago. Trouble is, something has changed and every time I've built the later versions, they can't find their help files. Originally I though it was due to the symlink between /usr/doc and /usr/share/doc, but I've not yet been able to fix the problem.

Smiley No promises, but I'll have another look at it and see if I can work out where it wants to find help files.

Paul.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 09:10:59 pm »

Thanks.  No huge hurry.  I have 07 running on my VL 6.0 xfce ibm t42.  I looked in my src and the 4pane directory (4pane-0.7.0) is there, plus two files, as follows:

4pane-0.7.0.tar.gz
4pane-0.7.0-13.0-i486-1.tgz

the gz and tgz files are dated only 3 seconds apart and the directory is dated less than a minute later.

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 01:45:10 am »

Thanks.  No huge hurry.  I have 07 running on my VL 6.0 xfce ibm t42.  I looked in my src and the 4pane directory (4pane-0.7.0) is there, plus two files, as follows:

4pane-0.7.0.tar.gz
4pane-0.7.0-13.0-i486-1.tgz

the gz and tgz files are dated only 3 seconds apart and the directory is dated less than a minute later.

Smiley I've worked out what the install is doing, though I have no idea why its doing it. Part of the problem lies with Vector - by default there is a symlink from /usr/doc to /usr/share/doc, which is helping to cause the problem. The rest of the problem is in symlinks created by the 4Pane install process - which the pkgtools remove at the end of the build, then add into the 'doinst.sh' that is packed with the rest. What that does is create a symlink which overwrites the normal position that the help files would be, resulting in a strange error when uninstalling and resulting in 4Pane being unable to find its help files.

I will probably have to overwrite doinst.sh with something more sensible. Should be able to look at it in the next few days, I hope.

Paul.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 03:01:42 am »

For whatever its worth, the help files work on my install.  If I could send anything that might help, let me know. I don't fully recall how I installed it. However I am pretty sure I first created a "filemanagers" directory in my home directory and then followed the third install process referenced on "Getting 4pane" at http://www.4pane.co.uk/Download.htm, to wit:

You can get the very latest changes and fixes from svn. To 'check out' 4Pane into a dir called ~/filemanagers/4Pane, open a terminal, cd to ~/filemanagers/, and do:
svn co http://fourpane.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/fourpane/trunk 4Pane
Then follow the instructions in Installing.

However, I just looked and my johwhi/filemanagers directory is empty.  I think its installed in src. There's a lot of files and directories in the directory johwhi/src/4pane-0.7.0.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: