VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 06:15:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Poll
Question: WHAT AM I DOING WRONG
software problem - 0 (0%)
hardware problem - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: toshiba satellite issues  (Read 784 times)
deftone_75

« on: May 02, 2010, 07:46:52 am »

I have tried several times on this. toshiba satellite A105 VL 6. installation goes fine, upon reboot, i have a hangup at "performing coldplugging". Pulling my hair out. HELP!
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 08:50:12 am »

I've seen this before ... every now and then there's a problem with one or another part of the hardware (NIC, sound card, whatever) which will cause a freeze at coldplugging.  I googled this model and didn't find much ... just one thing about Slackware (which Vector Linux is based on) having trouble with SATA.  No fix was suggested.  Other people reported varying degrees of success with the A105 and other Linux distributions.

Just one suggestion:  to determine whether this is a hardware problem, try a LiveCD (I would suggest VL 6.0 Live Light), see how things work, and report back.  If a Live CD works, then you can rule out a hardware problem.

If you do that, between now and then somebody smarter/more knowledgeable than me might come along with a suggestion or question.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 09:05:25 am »

I don't remember exactly what the installation process with 6 standard asked for, but if it's an option, I'd go with VLHot rather than HAL and see if that helps your issue. If I recall, coldplugging relies on HAL and this is where some issues with older drives may come into play.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: