VectorLinux
July 29, 2014, 04:19:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: "Missing Operating System" error  (Read 2899 times)
Boomerian

« on: April 28, 2010, 05:50:23 am »

Trying to boot a Vector 6.0 Gold install, from a (GParted) partitioned WD120GB HDD (hda) on a Sempron 1333 system with 2GB of RAM. Hda partitioned as follows: 10GB for /; 4GB for linux-swap; remainder for /home.
Setting up the initial partitions took a while, but GParted indicated "completed successfully" - no errors on the install (also "completed successfully").
Removed install CD and changed bios to boot from hdd0 (rather than CDROM), and get message "Missing Operating System."
Does this indicate a bad HDD? How can I change/update the MBR (if that is the problem)?
Any assistance greatly appreciated...
Cheers,
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 06:31:59 am »

Are you sure that you installed the MBR to that drive? You can reinstall lilo to the MBR by booting the install cd and choosing that option instead of install.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
Boomerian

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 07:48:48 am »

Thanks, Daniel, for the prompt reply.
I tried to make NO changes to the (scripted) installation process, unless I was certain that it was necessary. As I recall, there was a button that had MBR on it, but I installed everything to hda - would the MBR be in some sort of separate area (other than the / or 'root' partition)? Doesn't the installation take care of that automatically, unless I change something?
There was a checkbox for if I DIDN'T want to install Lilo, but I left that unchecked.
Again, I tried to let the installation GUI make all the decisions.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 09:02:16 am »

After the installation of LILO you should have received a "Boot loader has been setup successfully" message. Do you recall seeing that?

Also, did the entire installation finish successfully (i.e. you set a timezone, created root password, created a new user, etc)?

The answers to these questions may help determine if a problem occurred during the installation.

If the installation successfully complete but LILO did not then you should be able to use your CD to boot to your installation system, at which point you could use VASM/VASMCC to reinstall LILO to the MBR.  To do this you would boot from the CD, and on the black screen with the "boot:" prompt you would enter 'linux root=/dev/hda1 ro' without the quotes.  This will boot your installed system (which may still have some configuration screens to get through), after which you should get to the login screen.  Once you're logged in you should run VASM and access the LILO installation option (boot loader) to reinstall LILO.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:04:08 am by newt » Logged
Boomerian

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 09:12:47 am »

Thanks, Newt.
Yes, I set the timezone, etc. and received the successful installation message and the prompt to reboot.
I have tried the boot from the CD, then entering the 'linux root=/dev/hda1 ro' at the prompt.
I have not, however, reached the login screen. As the boot progresses I get through a few lines and then see the "System Halted" (no quotes) and have no other option but Ctrl-Alt-Del.
I have re-installed twice, and feel fairly confident that my partitions are right.
Does that help?
I am grateful for your attention to this, and most eager to run VL.
Cheers,
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 09:29:01 am »

/dev/hda usually designates your CD-ROM. /dev/sda, sdb, sdc, etc. normally designate a hard drive.

What did gparted list for your drive designations?

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Boomerian

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 09:46:14 am »

Thanks, retired1af.
Our son is a USAF Captain, effective today (four years of service), based at Hurlburt Field.

"/dev/hda usually designates your CD-ROM. /dev/sda, sdb, sdc, etc. normally designate a hard drive.

What did gparted list for your drive designations?"
They were listed as hda1, hda2 (maybe hda5, hda6) - I'm at work and doing this from (my own) memory.
It is an IDE drive - does that make a difference?
Also, when I reset the boot sequence in the BIOS (from CDROM), my choices are HDD0, HDD1, HDD2, HDD3, although I only have two HDDs: the one I've partitioned, formatted, and am trying to install VL on, and another WD1600 that I haven't done anything with yet.
Obviously, when I need to try to boot from the CDROM, I have to reset the sequence to include CDROM.
I don't remember having the option of naming the hdd or the partitions myself (?).

Thanks for the assistance (and thanks for serving).
Proud USAF Dad

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 10:33:11 am »

Since you've tried installing a few times already and continue to have the same problem, I'd suggest trying to install once again but use the text interface for the installation this time.  The TUI (text user interface) installer can be accessed from the 'boot:' prompt by simply entering 'linux' (no quotes).  The process is nearly identical to the graphical installer with the exception of the graphical display.  Since you're confident you have your partitions set up correctly then do not worry about re-creating them, simply re-use the partitions that are already existing.

Also, towards the beginning of the installation process you may be prompted to test the install media (i.e. the CD) to ensure it's contents are correct. I recommend you do this step to make sure your CD is correctly written.  It may take a few minutes to verify the CD contents.

Hopefully this will shed some light on the problem.
Boomerian

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 10:53:52 am »

Thanks to all. I will try the TUI install, as suggested, in about 4 hours or so, then post results.
Cheers,
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 02:41:19 pm »

/dev/hda usually designates your CD-ROM. /dev/sda, sdb, sdc, etc. normally designate a hard drive.

My CD-ROM is /dev/hdc. It won't be called /dev/hda unless your hard drive is sata. I'm sure quite a few of us are using computers with IDE hard drives. SATA and SCSI drives are identified as /dev/sda/sdb/etc. IDE drives (hard and CD-ROM) are identified as /dev/hda/hdb/hdc etc.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 03:01:01 pm »

Yeah, realized that after I posted. I try to forget that ancient PIII/450 I was using when I first started using VL.  Grin

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Boomerian

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 03:51:39 am »

Thanks, all - I was able to boot (from the CD) after the TUI install. I noticed that the Lilo install was prompting me to offer up the other HDD, looking for a Windows XP boot, so I de-selected that, which is what I think made it finally work. Also, the root partition was hda2 for some reason, so I had to point to that for the MBR.
Now I need to find a way to get my wireless working. Just my luck that my two USB adapters are "problem children" for Linux: Belkin F5D7050 v4000 and Trendnet TEW-424ub   ...ARGH!
You've all been helpful and attentive. The wireless stuff belongs on a different forum, I know.
Cheers!
Boomerian

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 04:26:23 am »

Hi Folks - I'm back.
Been fiddling with VL6 Gold and still can't boot from the HDD nor get internet access via wireless, but I did notice a document named "Liloerror" which reads as follows:

Warning: Partition 2 on /dev/hda is not marked Active
Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system
Warning: Video adapter does not support VESA BIOS extensions need for display of 256 colors. Boot loader will fall back to TEXT only operation
Fatal: First sector of /dev/hdd1 doesn't have a valid boot signature

I'm not sure where I go from here.
Is the solution another install (and partition both HDDs - even the one I'm not using)? I suppose I have to at least format it sometime...

How can I mark Partition 2 on /dev/hda as "Active?" (I assume that this is what VL calls "hda2").

Will formatting the second HDD (what I assume VL is calling hdd1) give it a 'valid boot signature?' Would the "fatal" error be keeping me from booting from the installed VL (installed on /dev/hda)?

Having booted from the install disk, everything looks fine, so I'm not sure about Warnings 2 and 3...

So many questions. But I am learning, I suppose.
Thanks, in advance...
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 06:21:44 am »

I would not worry too much about the warnings at this time, however the 'Fatal' error needs to be dealt with.  A complete listing of your partitions should shed some light on your drives and partitions and their designations. Try 'fdisk -l' as root in the console (no quotes) and paste the output here.

EDIT:
The output from the following would be helpful:
fdisk -l (this should list all of your systems partitions)
lilo -v -t (this should test the writing of lilo and provide verbose output)
cat /etc/lilo.conf (this will list the contents of your lilo.conf file)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 08:56:09 am by newt » Logged
Boomerian

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 06:28:44 am »

Thanks, Newt.
As I'm "sneaking" peeks at the forum from work, so I'll not be able to get back to solving this until later today (6 hours or more from now). I've been searching the web - do I need to "mount" my HDD?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: