VectorLinux
July 31, 2014, 03:24:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: dial up/chestnut dialer  (Read 1302 times)
pottzie

« on: May 01, 2010, 10:34:19 am »

I've got an IBM Thinkpad A22m made somewhere before the invention of hydrogen. It's got a Xircom Mini PCI v90 56k modem that shows up when I run lspci.
 When I try to dial out using Chestnut dialer, it can't find itself. I forget what comes up when I try to dial out, as I only have dial-up at work. What has to happen for Chestnut and the modem to work? Seems like I saw where there's a bug in Chestnut that has to be edited, but right now I don't know if the kerenel sees the modem.
 I know that dial up matters to about three people on the face of the earth right now, and that one of them is probably in a cave in Afghanistan (and no, I'm not him!)
 Any help in configuring would be appreciated. Especially since this was probably depreciated in most kernels before hand cranking to start Model T's was-which I suppose is what I'm doing.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 11:34:08 am »

Doesn't look good.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/3Com_10/100_Ethernet_Mini-PCI_Adapter_with_56K_Modem

Bigpaws
pottzie

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 11:48:14 am »

Yep.
 Pour gas on it, light it up and walk away, I guess. Too bad. I thought being retro was going to be easy.
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 12:36:02 pm »

I know that dial up matters to about three people on the face of the earth right now, and that one of them is probably in a cave in Afghanistan
...LOL!  I'm not him either.  Dial up matters to me.  Really sorry about your modem, though...  (bummer).   Sad
pottzie

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 05:42:52 pm »

For what it's worth, I think this is the modem I have
 http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xircom_10/100_EtherJet_Mini_PCI_Adapter_with_56K_Modem
 It shows a  "ltmodem"  driver....whatever that is!
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 02:44:54 pm »

Hmmm,...the "ltmodem" is Lucent.  Lucent is usually an internal (software) winmodem....and not supported in linux.  But it says that the "linux driver" is ltmodem.   I believe that there are some linux distros that will support that driver.  If I'm not mistaken,...an earlier release of Puppy Linux had the PCTel and ltmodem drivers support already built in.  (Think that was probably about version Puppy 4.0).  I tried my windows internal winmodem "PCTel" on it back then,...and I remember that it actually worked.  (Can't say for sure about the ltmodem (Lucent) driver.).

EDIT:  about halfway down this page,...there is discussion, and apps for the Lucent modem (ltmodem driver) in Puppy Linux 4.3.1 (latest version)...    http://tinyurl.com/27f6htk
For the 4.3 version it reports:
The kernel has drivers for many modems, including Agere, ESS, Lucent, Conexant, Smartlink, Pctel and Intel chipsets. Rerwin has done an incredible job here, and in most cases we have automatic detection and configuration.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 03:45:04 pm by nitehawk » Logged
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 04:51:04 am »

I've got an IBM Thinkpad A22m made somewhere before the invention of hydrogen. It's got a Xircom Mini PCI v90 56k modem that shows up when I run lspci.
 When I try to dial out using Chestnut dialer, it can't find itself. I forget what comes up when I try to dial out, as I only have dial-up at work. What has to happen for Chestnut and the modem to work? Seems like I saw where there's a bug in Chestnut that has to be edited, but right now I don't know if the kerenel sees the modem.
 I know that dial up matters to about three people on the face of the earth right now, and that one of them is probably in a cave in Afghanistan (and no, I'm not him!)

Nor am I @)

A note to devs; please don't give up on dialup as most distros have done, some of us still use it.
frogzz

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 10:24:10 am »

Hey, dial-up is all I use;  it matters 100% to me.   There are a lot more dial-up users out here than you realize. 
    If you're going to be using Linux distros, do yourself a major favor and get a serial, hardware modem, like U. S. Robotics which usually works on every Linux distro I've tried.   
    Actually, that's my question:   Does Vector Linux 6.0 have dial-up?   Apparently, it does, if there is a Chestnut dialer.---And, under Vector Linux System Administration guide, it does list :
    6.5. NETWORK
           6.5.1. NETCONF
           6.5.2. NAME
           6.5.3. INET
           6.5.4. WIRELESS
           6.5.5. MODEM********
           6.5.6. FIREWALL

I ask because I've experimented with several different distros, and some of them don't even have  dial-up included.  It's all for networking on LAN, etc.   BTW, more and more people are returning to dial-up because they can't afford the high dollars for high-speed broadband connections. I never stopped using dial-up.   It meets my needs;  I'm not in a hurry.  So, please, all of you who write distros, don't leave dial-up out!   
    So, I'm on my way to the Vector linux store to buy VL and install it.   
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 03:02:31 pm »

frogzz..
I'm only on dialup, myself....and yes, Vector 6.0 (standard) has the Chestnut-dialer.  It's pretty easy to set up and configure for your ISP, modem,..and all that stuff.  The only problem I had, was a little "glitch" that Chestnut-dialer has (it's not the fault of Vector Linux).   To actually get on the internet with dialup in the Chestnut-dialer you have to give yourself root priviledge.  I did this by going to (with midnight commander),  to: '/usr/share/applications/chestnut-dialer'
I'm not totally sure right at this moment,...but I believe where it lists the command,...I typed in:
  (just before the words "chestnut-dialer"). .. '/sbin/vsuper'   This worked like a charm.
EDIT:  Ok,...I just went (with the midnight commander) to: '/user/share/applications/chestnut-dialer' (or '/chestnut-desktop')....
and it's the line that reads: 'Exec=chestnut-dialer'
change it to read:                'Exec=/sbin/vsuper chestnut-dialer'  (and save it)!
when you put the chestnut-dialer icon on your desktop and click on it,...a window will open that you type in root's password.  (Your US Robotics external modem should work just fine!)
**also see:  http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=8811.0
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 03:13:13 pm by nitehawk » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: