VectorLinux
July 23, 2014, 05:21:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: SOHO-RC2.8 is out please leave feedback and bug reports here  (Read 10552 times)
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 09:44:03 am »

I does seem odd that until SOHO 6 development my laptop had no issues (it currently has VL6 Std on it). The desktop that I use to test has a nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS card which is not an issue for the current installer. I know that my laptop will use the nv driver as I have done so in the past as well as vesa. Thus I'm not sure why the issues now. I have tried using the std 6 disk to boot to and then use the iso for the SOHO releases but the std installer does not find those isos even though they are on the same partition that the 64bit alpha iso and the std iso are on (the installer detects the latter two). Also once I drop down to the command line (out of the installer) I can't get setup to recognize the cd/dvd device even though I can browse it with mc. All of this does not make sense to me and perhaps is not a graphics issue but rather a mobo chipset issue. I don't have any suggestions either other than I do like std 6...
-----
I just switched from the nvidia proprietary driver to the nv open source and no problems with gkrellm (the one I compiled). I tried everything that seemed to cause the KDE or X crash with the proprietary driver. I also note that my box runs about 5 degrees C cooler. On the downside I can't play supertuxkart, chromium, or armagetron (let alone something more intensive).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 12:10:30 pm by MikeCindi » Logged

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 05:13:36 pm »

However, on the third attempt, VL SOHO issues a message, quite unhappy, I suppose, "Unable to successfully complete...Please run VASM...."  Of course, that would be impossible, wouldn't it, I mean, one cannot log in as root, right, so one never gets to run VASM....

The problem remains, unchanged....
Caieng are you installing the "fun" packages from the second install cd? One of the packages in there is our VL-Theme package which has all things that make kde have its VL look also has some fixes which includes allowing kdm root logins. I think if you try another install including that package set you can get in as root and fix your user accounts. There might be a installer bug when using caps to type your user name make sure you do all in lower case and try again.

vec
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 05:21:34 pm »

I don't have any suggestions either other than I do like std 6...
MikeandCindy we are using a newer version of X.org in soho than in vl std so it may well be an nv bug that cropped up in the newer X.org . I am pretty well commited to this version of X.org as I would lose a lot time either going forwards or backwards version wise. So may have to put your laptop on hold till Vector7 time.........sorry.

cheers,
vec
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 06:19:16 pm »

So may have to put your laptop on hold till Vector7 time.........sorry.

No worries here as std has done very well for me (much like 5.8 did). I appreciate your efforts greatly as do many others that call VL their own.
Mike

caieng

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 01:03:59 am »

Quote from: Vec
Caieng are you installing the "fun" packages from the second install cd?
Thanks for asking.
Umm, NO.  I have thus far run into problems without going into the second disk, so I had (obviously incorrectly) assumed that adding a second disk of unknowns would only exacerbate the diagnostic dilemma.

Once I have finished downloading today's release of VL 6.0 KDE Classic-Live, I will download the second cdrom for SOHO, and give it a shot.

Philosophically, may I interject, (perhaps an unappreciated zwei pfennigs!) that in my humble opinion, one does not gain, in the long run, by inserting a complicated mechanism of gears and levers and pulleys into an even more complex arrangement of similar parts, in order to figure out how to repair the defective, inserted components.

Politically, one may add that it is unattractive to indicate to a consumer, than in order for the "base" system to work properly, one must further acquire the deluxe version, notwithstanding any promises made prior to acquisition, that the base system alone would suffice....  Question:  How would you feel if the car salesman informed you that antilock brakes were an attractive option, with only a modest increased cost, compared with standard brakes, but, that if one did not purchase the antilock brakes, then the car could not stop?

There might be a installer bug when using caps to type your user name make sure you do all in lower case and try again.
Well, I wouldn't know about that, I am far too lazy a person to ever employ capital letters....  I would add, that if such a bug exists, it needs to be found, and squashed, tout de suite.

...also has some fixes which includes allowing kdm root logins.
Well, again this is simply a personal perspective, but, I think that one ought not demand of a SOHO owner, Linux wizardry.  In essence, this approach presupposes that the only folks eligible to use this SOHO edition of Vector Linux 6.0, must understand something about "root" versus "user", sufficient to create user accounts.  I remind folks, who may have forgotten, that many of us did not emerge from the womb with intimate knowledge of Unix jargon, and consequently, a guy or gal who simply runs a small enterprise, and does not have time to fool around learning UNIX, will not be happy upon learning that this SOHO edition presupposes a level of "guru-ness" with which he/she may not be very comfortable. 

It is MUCH better, in my opinion, to have VL-6 SOHO work, right out of the box.  Plug it in, turn it on, boom, there's the office desktop.  No muss, no fuss.  That's only the perspective of one SOHO person, me.  So, perhaps other members of the forum will disagree with me, that's fine.  I may be completely wrong about this. 

My idea on how to solve this problem is completely different:  Since one must create users after disk two is installed, ANYWAY, if I have understood Vec's comment above, then, why not eliminate that terminal component of the installer routine, (create user accounts), which currently is not only inoperative, but also leads, at least in my hands, to a fatal crash?

The advantage of having unsophisticates participate in a beta testing routine is sometimes overlooked by those with more extensive knowledge.  We poke and prod things which an intelligent person would never do, and in the process, uncover "defects", normally invisible, but, like the rare tornado or hurricane, can cause incredible damage if that rare combination of circumstances does arise.  In this case we have someone who has zero interest in creating user accounts/passwords, etc, and simply wishes to use the computer for some aspect of running his/her small office/home office operation.  He/She is the sole owner, sole operator, sole user, and has no need for other users.  Shouldn't a SOHO version of any operating system permit such an owner to operate his/her computer as he/she wishes, instead of the way some Linux trained engineer desires?  (hint:  there's a hundred other distros available that operate in the traditional UNIX modus operandi). 

There's another way of addressing this issue:  Does VL-6 SOHO desire to be a BIG OFFICE NETWORK SERVER?  If the answer is no, then, one must inquire, why does the installer software, contrarily, yield to this SOHO person, the impression, that it is precisely this latter target population (and not the single, small entrepreneur) to which VL-6 SOHO is directed?

Regards, CAI ENG
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 04:15:39 am »

Perhaps because a "Small Office" doesn't always mean just one person?

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
caieng

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 04:53:33 am »

and, perhaps, "personal" computer, i.e. PC, is a misnomer.

or not.

CAI ENG
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 12:21:51 pm »

I installed RC2.8 a short while ago. GUI installation went without a single hitch. With trepidation I set up a user while in the installer, fearful that the user might be numbered 1001 instead of the needed 1000. I trusted Vec's statement that the user installation seemed to be fixed in RC2.8. YES!! My user was 1000, just as desired. So that's one annoyance off the list.

As usual, I ran KDE just long enough to finish VASMCC setups, mount partitions, install LILO on a floppy disk, and run an update. There are several programs missing in SOHO that I like to use (Dillo, HardInfo, xpdf, fontforge, gqview, gxine, VLC), so I installed them with Gslapt. And most important of all, I installed XFce 4.6.1 as my desktop environment.

I'm still puzzled why old versions of Firefox and SeaMonkey are installed. The latest are no longer in testing, and since security issues have been the instigation for updated releases, I think they should be installed and not the old ones.

I haven't had a chance to do more testing, but I've finished installing *everything* so RC2.8 will be my main OS on the Celeron 1.3 GHz desktop until the next SOHO release. As is my custom, once I finished installing updates through Gslapt I logged out of X and into a console and renamed my home directory and copied my home directory from RC2. Saves a ton of time.

I'll report any problems I run into as I use RC2.8 more. If I can find the time, I'll also install it on my Athlon 64 X2 computer and see if it's similarly glitch free.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 02:16:35 pm »

Installer worked fine (though I was suprised to see the screen resolution selection before the GUI loaded - hasn't been seen for a while...).

Took a while - boot to first reboot was 40 minutes on a fast laptop.

UID problem is fixed. Thanks!

However, console keyboard is still wrong. I checked /etc/rc.d/rc.k which gives me this:

Code:
~!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/loadkeys gb

Doesn't seem to work - I'm still getting US keyboard layout in console.

I'm also still having strange problems with localisation, but they seem to be a Konsole bug rather than anything else. If I export the correct locale:

Code:
export LANG=en_GB.utf8

mc is then unusable in Konsole. All the box drawing characters become alphanumeric. If I run it in an xterm, it works fine. KDE devs strike again....

I also notice that we still end up with a ~/.bash_profile which reads like this:

Code:
#LOCALES ADDITIOMS MADE BY THE VL GUI INSTALLER
export LANG=en_US
`setkbmpa -odel pc104 -layout gb`
#END OF MODIFICATIONS BY THE VL GUI INSTALLER

While en_US may be the only locale used by the installer, it is a long way from the only en_ locale, and adding that in this position is simply confusing. It should be left alone so that it can be properly (and globally) modified in /etc/profile.d/lang.sh

Other than that, the only other things I'm seeing so far are the standard KDE bugs. Gurnsey, anyone......

Paul.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 07:39:20 pm »

Just replaced the Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS with an ATI Radeon 4550 (I found a cheap one at NewEgg). I re-ran the installer which went well but the vlati package doesn't recognize the card so I ran the latest from ATI and no issues there. Loaded and started gkrellm (that vector made) and have not had any issues after doing all the stuff that I do. The next thing to try is hibernation as I never messed with the problems the nvidia has with tuxonice. I'll be back in a few minutes with the results.

Suspend works well as it did with the nvidia card but hibernate gives the same problem with the following:
Code:
2010-05-10 22:45:11 TuxOnIce Detected TuxOnIce binary signature.
2010-05-10 22:45:11 === TuxOnIce ===
2010-05-10 22:45:11
2010-05-10 22:45:11 BIG FAT WARNING!! Device backed fs has been mounted rw prior to resume or initrd/ramfs is mounted rw.
2010-05-10 22:45:11 If you want to use the current TuxOnIce image, reboot and try
2010-05-10 22:45:11 again with the same kernel that you hibernated from. If you want
2010-05-10 22:45:11 to forget that image, continue and the image will be erased.
2010-05-10 22:45:11 Press SPACE to reboot or C to continue booting with this kernel
2010-05-10 22:45:11 Default action if you don't select one in 25 seconds is: continue booting.
2010-05-10 22:45:11 TuxOnIce Sanity check failed.
I guess I'll have to actually do some work on this...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:49:13 pm by MikeCindi » Logged

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010, 10:19:24 pm »

In RC2 I had two printer drivers for my LJP2055dn:hpcups and hpii-something. In RC2.8 the only one is hpcups. I'm not happy with it because it prints graphics too dark and there is no adjustment. According to Gslapt I have hplip installed. Where is the driver that was in RC2? Or am I missing something?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 01:07:42 pm »

Found the problem with keyboard layout in console. Trouble is that the UK keyboard is identified differently in console and in X. In console, its uk, in X its gb. I don't think there is anything corresponding to 'gb' in console layouts.

I edited /etc/rc.d/rc.keymap, changed the 'gb' entry to 'uk'. Now, on boot, I have the correct UK keyboard layout in both console and X.

I'm not sure that any other locale has this split naming for keyboard layout. Also don't know if there is an easy way to get round the problem.

Paul.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 01:19:04 pm »

Yeah... Learn the keyboard layout codes Wink

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 03:23:36 am »

Smiley

However, I must repeat - an installer that can't get something as basic as keyboard layout right is at the very best, questionable. There is NO other distribution that has problems getting  that much of basic locale settings correct.

If that can't be fixed, I repeat (yet again), the GUI is pretty well worthless. You have got to be able to get the basic install correct!

I can fix it easily enough. A newbie will be completely lost, and if the newbie is lost, the GUI install is a waste of time and effort. Time and effort that would much better have been spent getting the rest of the distro up to date, or working on the 64-bit version, both things that Vector needs urgently.

The old TUI install correctly set keyboard settings. The VL6.0 install got keyboard layout correct (though that may have been done with the final text mode section - don't remember).  Surely it can be done for the new all-singing-all-dancing installer. If it can't, IMHO, the GUI installer is fatally flawed.

Paul.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010, 04:49:53 am »

Smiley

However, I must repeat - an installer that can't get something as basic as keyboard layout right is at the very best, questionable. There is NO other distribution that has problems getting  that much of basic locale settings correct.

If that can't be fixed, I repeat (yet again), the GUI is pretty well worthless. You have got to be able to get the basic install correct!

I can fix it easily enough. A newbie will be completely lost, and if the newbie is lost, the GUI install is a waste of time and effort. Time and effort that would much better have been spent getting the rest of the distro up to date, or working on the 64-bit version, both things that Vector needs urgently.

The old TUI install correctly set keyboard settings. The VL6.0 install got keyboard layout correct (though that may have been done with the final text mode section - don't remember).  Surely it can be done for the new all-singing-all-dancing installer. If it can't, IMHO, the GUI installer is fatally flawed.

Paul.

Let's not forget that you are the ONE guy that complains about this. It's nice to see that you know what areas the distro needs help on, and yet all I hear is complain, complain, complain...
Why dont we try this?
submit a bug report to the installer project, telling us what you select for locale, keyboard model, and layout and also tell us what the end result is. After that, tell us what you change and where you changed it to get it right.

You are more than welcome to use older versions with the text installer or fix the text installer yourself to make it right.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: