VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 04:25:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: SOHO-RC2.8 is out please leave feedback and bug reports here  (Read 11293 times)
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2010, 02:37:34 pm »

Choose automatic and let the system decide what settings are best for the netbook.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2010, 04:40:42 pm »

Thanks Retired1af.  Actually it turned out to be a 1024x600 setup in Vxconfig, but when I bootup the system it stops when trying to setup keymap.  From there I have to type startx in order for the boot process to proceed.
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2010, 10:04:35 am »

Still having issues, but It would help a lot if the installer numbered the amount of keys on each keyboard model selection. I believe the problem stems from the Toshiba NB205 having only 85 keys, which isn't supported by the installer. Also. there is no sound on this net book. The installer don't appear to be net book friendly.
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2010, 01:33:00 pm »

Downloaded the images this afternoon and install went great no problems - only quirk is cd2 does not eject when told to reboot at end of install.

everything I've tried so far seems to works well.  even got google chrome installed and working.

Looking good here. will test more tonight.
Dave
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 01:34:42 pm by kc1di » Logged

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2010, 12:31:07 pm »

I was able to use the Everex Stepnote... to proceed, it has 87 keys, which is close.  The installer still hangs after creating a root password. 
I get a nasty pause upon boot, prompting ... :

Probing EDD (edd=off to disable) ...ok
Undefined Video Mode: 31a

Huh
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 04:15:10 pm by prince » Logged
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2010, 04:10:40 pm »

I think I need a kernel patch to get the sound speakers and wireless working. I think this kernel version of Linux is too old.  I see the 2.6.35 Kernel project have already commenced!
Vector ought to give the 2.6.33 kernel a try.
That with Slackware 13.1 and X ...1.8 might help resolve issues tremendously.
I know Btrfs is a dream away, but I'm looking forward to the Vector Soho VL7, already.
By the time I get a reply .... 
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2010, 04:33:27 pm »

The installer hangs at System Administrator Account, after entering the password and hitting the button "next."
jpuhalski

« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2010, 04:13:14 pm »

I was having problems with the VL 6.0 Deluxe that I purchased.  someone from the forum, retired1af, suggested I try SOHO-RC2.8 and gave me the link.  It worked great.  thanks for the work in making the install so smooth.  So far everything is working fine.  I'm running it on an IBM Thinkpad T42, dual-boot.

Since this is still in testing could you suggest the best way to update, should I just use Gslapt normally?  I also notice there is a slapt-update-notifier, will it notify me when updates are available?   

I just want to make sure because I was fooling with slackware current one time and when I used installpkg to update I broke it, I found out I was using the wrong source for the updates.

thanks
john
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2010, 05:18:23 pm »

Everything in the RC is fairly new, so there's no real need to update any of the core files. As we get new goodies into the repository, there's an announcement made, and if you wish to update then, all you need to do is use gslapt to upgrade the one file. Smiley

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2010, 06:04:15 pm »

If you want to update everything that's updateable with Gslapt, be sure you DON'T have /testing enabled in the Sources (Edit menu, Preferences, Sources). Then click on the Update icon, which will get a list of packages currently in the repos. Click on Mark All Upgrades. If you want to see what's marked, hit F4 to see just the marked upgrades. Then click on Execute and Gslapt will download and install the upgrades and their dependencies.

For SOHO I'd suggest upgrading at least Firefox and SeaMonkey because for some reason SOHO includes older versions. I've commented on this before. Firefox and SeaMonkey upgrades include fixes for security issues and I can't see a reason for not including the current versions in the ISO.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
jpuhalski

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2010, 07:03:32 pm »

ok, great, thanks for the replys.  I did notice that testing is not enabled in the sources.  there are 17 updates available.  I'll give it a try.

john
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2010, 08:13:05 pm »

Testing should be used *with caution* and never enabled if you're doing a general system update. If you're not doing a system update, it's okay to have testing enabled so that you can see what's available. Often newer versions that people are looking for are in testing and you can help the whole process by installing what you want and seeing how it goes. Just be sure you realize that a package is in testing, which means it *might* cause some problems.

I routinely have testing enabled but I don't do system-wide updates of everything available and I always make sure I know where in the repo a package is coming from. If it's in testing, I make sure I have a good reason for giving it a try.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2010, 03:12:36 pm »

Disregard my previous post , the Toshiba 205 is a poorly developed design from it's inception.  It will be returned.  It's not worth Vector Linux precious time, nor mine.  If Intel refuses to work properly with Linux, then I will give up on Intel. It's just not worth the headache.  Next time it's AMD. Cool 
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2010, 01:35:06 pm »

Well, here's a neat little trick I just tripped across!!!!!!

Mouse over the volume control in the notification area and scroll with your mouse wheel.

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2010, 01:54:15 pm »

Well, here's a neat little trick I just tripped across!!!!!!

Mouse over the volume control in the notification area and scroll with your mouse wheel.
Heh! That's how I've done it for ages... Grin   Pretty cool, huh?

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: