VectorLinux
September 20, 2014, 09:42:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL6.0 KDE-Classic-Live feedback.  (Read 11909 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 11:23:42 am »

First thing to try is to open a terminal, as root, and run "alsaconf". It should detect and set up your sound card.

Next step can be run as regular user, but still in a terminal: "alsamixer". Navigate between the channels using right and left arrow keys, up and down keys to adjust the volumes. Make sure all are turned up sufficiently. If Master, PCM, Front or other output channes show "MM", they are muted. Press the "m" key to unmute.
caieng

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 05:38:33 am »

Quote from: nightflier
If Master, PCM, Front or other output channels show "MM", they are muted. Press the "m" key to unmute.
Well done, thank you very much nightflier.  Excellent.  It now WORKS perfectly.

I will post some times later today, after I finish downloading some other stuff, so that the bandwidth is entirely available for VL 6 KDE 3.5 live.

Much appreciated.

Regards,
CAI ENG
gizmo

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 06:56:03 am »

I am now using the live CD of VL 6.0 KDE classic.

I have used VL 6.0 Gold for a little bit (installed to HDD) and it seems a good match with my old Compaq Presario 1200 laptop.

I have played with KDE on other computers and I like the look of it so I thought I'd give VL KDE a try.

Some quick initial thoughts:

1. I'm surprised that no word processor is standard - if open office is too large, what about KOffice, KWrite or Abiword?
2. when I plug in a USB memory stick (pendrive) in VL 6.0 Gold, an icon for the drive appears on the desktop. This doesn't happen with the KDE version. I'd prefer it to.
3. When I plug in a pendrive, it opens a window asking how to treat the drive. If I close that window without opening a file, how do I go back to access that drive? How do I unmount it?
4. The wallpaper is a fairly plain blue background with no reference to Vector Linux. Some sort of VL logo or eye candy would be nice.
5. In other distros with KDE I have tried, when you click on an icon you see a small image near the mouse pointer, bouncing up and down impatiently while you wait for the file or application to load. I think that is pretty cute, is there some way to set this up in VL KDE?

Thanks. I am pretty impressed with VL so far, well done. My initial aim in trying Linux was to breathe new life into an ageing, Win ME - era laptop. along the way I have become a Linux convert on  my desktop using Mint 7, but getting the old laptop doing everything I want it to do, easily and without fuss has been impossible till I found VL.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 07:46:28 am »

1. Kwrite is included. The original non-live version has Koffice, but due to space constraints on the LiveCD, we had to leave some things out. The intent is to give you a good base to build upon. Additional programs can be installed using gslapt.

2. If you switch to vl-hot (Menu > Settings > VASMCC > Hardware > Mounter), you will get a desktop icon as you describe. Disabling HAL does remove some functionality, like cdrom auto-mounting.

3. Assuming you didn't disable HAL in 2 above, open Konqueror and go to "Storage Media".

4. The wallpaper provides a nice continuity from login to desktop. To change, right-click on desktop > Configure Desktop..

5. Menu > Control Center > Appearance & Themes > Launch Feedback > select your desired busy cursor.

Thank you for your comments. Welcome to Vector, hope it works out for you.
anselm

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 08:48:08 pm »

Hello everyone,

Long time ubuntu user, been using VL6.0 KDE-Classic-Live for about 2 days its working great for me.

1. Was wondering on long is VL6.0 KDE Classic going to get updates for like security and such?

Thanks
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 04:14:33 am »

Vector releases are normally maintained until the release of a version two numbers higher.
KDE3 is no longer being maintained, consider it static.
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 02:06:48 pm »

6.0 KDE Classic Live saved the day with a stubborn Toshiba. From the 'toshset' thread in the 'Installation' forum:

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=12068.0

sledgehammer asked me to take a look at this Toshiba and I finally got it to work with Vector.....Just not VL 6.0 STD:

VL 6.0 Light Live and VL 6.0 KDE Live both rebooted from the Live CD flawlessly. I chose KDE Live because the Toshiba is a P4 with 1gb of RAM and handles it with ease.

First, though, I tried updating the 6.0 STD kernel to 2.6.27.29 on the existing installation thinking that the older 2.6.27.12 in 6.0 STD may be the issue - but that did not work. Interestingly, 2.6.30.8 worked, but the video was jumping all over the screen so I didn't go there.

After installing the 6.0 KDE Live CD to the HD, I had to Log Out and reboot from the KDM log-in screen. After that, everything seems to be working normally.

I want to use it for a couple of days to make sure that we are OK and, if it doesn't break, a young person will have an excellent laptop running 6.0 KDE.....

Another great job, nightflyer and the VL Live Team.....!

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
bligh

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 05:31:52 am »

vector linux live cd boots to multiuser mode only, it will not allow me to install.
Cheers
bligh

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 08:59:12 am »

Not quite sure what happened but, VL6.0 kde classic live is installed and working.  Thanks for all the help.
Cheers
jake7264

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 03:06:39 am »

I just downloaded live cd. I used all possible boot options. All of them take me to the same login screen. What is login screen doing on live cd??!! I used all possible logins and passwords suggested on forums (vl, vector, user, root). Would it be too much to ask to display this kind of info on vector linux page right next to "download" button. If the information is classified, this at least would save public the time and effort of downloading and cracking codes...
Does anyone know the trick to get the bloody thing going?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 04:03:34 am »

The login screen is there to give the user more options. KDE is heavy for a LiveCD, so you may run something lighter instead. The root account defaults to a minimal JWM, dedicating all resources to the install procedure.

As stated on the login screen, all passwords are blank. Just select your user and press enter.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: