I am now using the live CD of VL 6.0 KDE classic.
I have used VL 6.0 Gold for a little bit (installed to HDD) and it seems a good match with my old Compaq Presario 1200 laptop.
I have played with KDE on other computers and I like the look of it so I thought I'd give VL KDE a try.
Some quick initial thoughts:
1. I'm surprised that no word processor is standard - if open office is too large, what about KOffice, KWrite or Abiword?
2. when I plug in a USB memory stick (pendrive) in VL 6.0 Gold, an icon for the drive appears on the desktop. This doesn't happen with the KDE version. I'd prefer it to.
3. When I plug in a pendrive, it opens a window asking how to treat the drive. If I close that window without opening a file, how do I go back to access that drive? How do I unmount it?
4. The wallpaper is a fairly plain blue background with no reference to Vector Linux. Some sort of VL logo or eye candy would be nice.
5. In other distros with KDE I have tried, when you click on an icon you see a small image near the mouse pointer, bouncing up and down impatiently while you wait for the file or application to load. I think that is pretty cute, is there some way to set this up in VL KDE?
Thanks. I am pretty impressed with VL so far, well done. My initial aim in trying Linux was to breathe new life into an ageing, Win ME - era laptop. along the way I have become a Linux convert on my desktop using Mint 7, but getting the old laptop doing everything I want it to do, easily and without fuss has been impossible till I found VL.