VectorLinux
August 30, 2014, 04:10:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL6.0 KDE-Classic-Live Released.  (Read 22405 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: May 09, 2010, 05:52:12 am »

The Vector Linux team is happy to announce the release of VL6.0 KDE-Classic-Live.

KDE 3 veterans will appreciate that this release retains the solid KDE 3.5.10. There are many updates compared to the original, install only release. The Live-installer has been improved. Live mode makes it simple to test compatibility with your hardware before committing to a permanent installation.

KDE-Classic is configured with full web and multimedia capabilities out of the box. Firefox has all the plugins that Vector Linux users are used to; Flash 10, Mplayer and Java. Further functionality from VLC and Xine ensures that you will be able to handle all common audio and video formats. Amarok is ready for your music collection. The King of CD/DVD burning, K3b, is also included.

When installed to your hard drive, the system is easily expanded using Gslapt. You will be able to download and install a large number of additional programs available from our package repository.

Get your copy here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-release/VL6.0-KDE-Classic-Live.iso
Md5: eb3dc540d08a263c637e785092f679a9
Feedback invited here: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=11741.0

Release notes:

The most accurate and flexible method for configuring video is "Probe for video", which will use vxconf to walk you through the process.

Changes made in the live environment transfer to installed system. You can delete the "vl" user account and create a new one during installation.

The Live CD uses blank passwords. Make sure to assign passwords during hard drive installation. Otherwise, certain programs like cups and samba may experience problems.

Due to space constraints, large programs like OpenOffice are not included on the disc. Install via gslapt.

Before installing vlnvidia or vlati, download and install the kernel sources: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/kernels/kernel-src-2.6.27.29-i686-1vl60.tlz

Unlike VL Light Live, the Live-tools will not be available after install. Those who want to re-master their own version will need to install that package afterwards.

The usual Vector Linux tools are included to help you manage your system. Look for "VASMCC" on the menu under "System", or run "vasm" in a terminal.
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 01:20:28 am »

We made it to the distrowatch front page this time.................... Grin

cheers,
Vec
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 07:03:32 pm »

Have just download the this live CD version but I cannot find the install to hard disk option in it.........

EDIT:

Found it...I need to log in as root to enable the option..hahahaha
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:44:09 pm by hata_ph » Logged
monfen

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 01:29:07 am »

Excellent work!!! I am very much happy with this release. In my opinion it is the best KDE 3.5.10 implementation ever possible!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 12:00:14 pm »

Mozilla (Firefox) plugins are in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
Hitcliff

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 01:34:07 am »

I just found this release today. Downloaded and installed. I was surprised how fast the install went. Everything works great on an IBM Thinkpad R32. Liking it more and more each day)
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 02:24:20 pm »

I just found this release today. Downloaded and installed. I was surprised how fast the install went. Everything works great on an IBM Thinkpad R32. Liking it more and more each day)
..Hello, and welcome to the forum, Hitcliff!  Yes,..VL6.0 KDE-Classic is pretty neat, alright.  I'm using it, myself,..on my main computer.  Fast, and uses very little resources.
!_00Bevan

Linux Rockstar

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 09:00:58 am »

Mozilla (Firefox) plugins are in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

Thank you very much. This is exactly what I have been searching for (for the last 45 minutes...).

Bevan - Linux Rockstar since 2011.
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 02:33:31 pm »

Noice.  I love my Puppy editions for small and useful, but if I need to actually work on a troubled system for recovery purposes for more than half-an-hour, I still find Vector easier to do so with.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
Kimdino

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 12:02:16 pm »

How is it on WPA-PSK support?
Kimdino

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 03:02:06 pm »

Please ignore my previous post re. WPA-PSK support, IO have just downloaded & tested on my laptop. For anyone else with this query the answer is 'Absolutely spot on. Very easy to connect & smoothly done'.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: