VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Window manager on kde base?  (Read 939 times)

stolpiller

Window manager on kde base?
« on: May 09, 2010, 10:36:52 am »

Hello,
I just installed kde classic, and it worked like a charm on my 1.6ghz / 512mb thinkpad. But it's a bit heavy.
So i would like a light window manager that works nice with kde. Because I like kde as base with its aps and so on.

How about Fluxbox? Blackbox? Or any other ideas? :-)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 03:34:21 pm by stolpiller »

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Window manager on kde base?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 11:21:29 am »

If you install "icewmvmods" using gslapt, it will give you an option to boot into an environment much like VL6 Light.

Blackbox and Fluxbox are also available from the "extra" area of the repository.

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 01:34:53 pm »

I've installed and am using XFce 4.6.1 under VL6 SOHO. No problems so far.

On my VL6 Light laptop I've installed kdebase and kdelibs, which gives me several KDE programs without having to run the KDE desktop, which I don't like at all. I also added K3B and Amarok to VL6 Light.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

stolpiller

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 03:33:21 pm »

Hm, well I'm not really a big fan of icewm.... (nor xfce4). I do like cde-look :D
But do any of the window managers integrate well with kde? I believe kde uses Qt? Gnome gtk? So it would be nice if I don't need any extra librarys (like gnome libs).
And would also be nice if start menu is easy "copied" to the new window manager.... :D