VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 09:02:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wbar Configuration  (Read 13418 times)
wibedo

« on: June 05, 2008, 12:57:32 pm »

If anywhere want a Configuration-Gui for wbar must have a look at: http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/wbarconf-34908.shtml

Another file for a different position or start can be found as attachement.
hferdinando

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 06:07:21 pm »

I already installed wbar and wbarconf. But how to set the position of wbar. It looks like the default position is at the bottom of the desktop. How can I change its position?

thanks!

Running VL6.0 light on Dell Latitude C610 P3 mobile 1GHz, 128 SDRAM, 20 GB
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 09:22:58 am »

Wbar takes options on the command line. You can specify the configuration file as well as position, like this:
Code:
wbar -config $HOME/.wbar -above-desk -pos bottom
This will use a config file ".wbar" in your home folder, bring it to the forefront, and position it on the bottom of the screen.

Once you figure out how you want it, add the command to the startup for your working environment.
hferdinando

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 03:14:29 am »

thank you nightflier!

when I started wbar from xterm, it runs well but the xterm never back to prompt. it is only writen "super bar"... when I closed the xterm, my wbar is also dissappeared. But when I configure my wbar from wbarconf, then it is ok.

I have one more question (I think): how to start my wbar automatically?

thanks

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 05:07:32 am »

It depends on what environment you are using. In IceWM, add a line to ~/.icewm/startup:
Code:
wbar -config $HOME/.wbar -above-desk -pos bottom

In KDE, make a script or shortcut in ~/.kde/Autostart.
hferdinando

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 07:43:06 am »

Thanks nightflier! It worked! Only one problem: there black background for the wbar only. I never got this black background when running wbar by refreshing in wbarconf. How to get transparent background for wbar?

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 11:17:21 am »

Thanks nightflier! It worked! Only one problem: there black background for the wbar only. I never got this black background when running wbar by refreshing in wbarconf. How to get transparent background for wbar?

Try something like thie (you can enter 'wbar --help' to find out what the parameters mean):

Code:
wbar -above-desk -p bottom -isize 28 -z 1.8 -j 1.0 -bpress -nanim 3 -balfa 0

The one most applicable to you is -balfa. You should also note that sometimes when wbar is started when your desktop (whatever it is) starts, it will end up having a black background, since it picks up whatever the background is. I found that I have to delay its start until the desktop settles. As a result, I use a script to start wbar. Works like this:

Code:
~!/bin/bash
sleep 4
wbar -above-desk -p bottom -isize 28 -z 1.8 -j 1.0 -bpress -nanim 3 -balfa 0

That allows the desktop to settle and means that wbar will pick up the desktop background properly.

Paul.
hferdinando

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 05:31:19 pm »

toothandnail,

I have tried your suggestion and it works! Thanks a lot. I also want to delete the home icon (my documents) from the desktop because I have already put it on my wbar. Unfortunately, I made mistakes so that my desktop disappeared (I have no wallpaper and when I right-click my desktop it shows menu). I think I changed something in

~/.config/main

show_desktop=0

So now I have two questions:

1) how to wipe out the home icon from my desktop?
2) how to restore my desktop so that I can see my wallpaper?

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 06:59:25 pm »

The "Home" icon on the desktop is hard-wired into Pcmanfm.

For desktop/wallpaper, open Pcmanfm, Click Edit > Preferences > Desktop and check the appropriate boxes.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: