VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 03:30:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wine is sloooooow :(  (Read 1420 times)
stolpiller

« on: May 10, 2010, 01:13:50 pm »

Hello

Everything is great and all; Wine runs winxp apps, and I'm happy... but they do run so slow it's crazy (even small apps).
Is it just me or can something be done? Frome what I've heard (read), there should not be any noticeable speed differences...........

Sad
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 01:20:54 pm »

Much of it will depend on the app (WoW in Wine is a dog on my system) and what your system specs are. If you're running a older, or bargain basement system (like mine), don't expect Wine to be the cure all to run Windows applications under Linux.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 04:56:07 pm »

I can't offer any help, but just to tell you that I run a couple of things in Wine - Office 2003 and Wordweb - and they run at normal speed like in Windows, so I guess it's something about your setup or the programs you're trying to run. My PC is nothing special, just a P4.
Andy
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 09:05:42 pm »

Is it just me or can something be done?

Wine is better than dual booting, as I see the world, but not as good as linux-only.

We have a guy in our building who still uses wordperfect 6.0 for dos.  He tried Windows for a year or so and went back to dos when he realized that most windows updates are more related to the revenue needs of the updater than to any improvements in the product.  He got tired of being required to learn new stuff to do something that could be done on an old Underwood.  Now, any of us who want a form, go to him.  He knows where everything is on his system.  I've got some files saved in lyx, some in open office, some in word perfect, some in wordstar, some in this, some in that.  He has everything saved in files that can be read by wordperfect 6 for dos.  But I digress.

My suggestion is to slowly wean yourself from applications that require wine.  That can be done.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 10:04:12 pm »

From your previous post I saw you were using a 1.6ghz / 512mb thinkpad.  This may just be a little short on juice for a running a non-native application.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 04:09:12 am »

I have found that the video driver can be important for wine performance. I did some compatibility testing with IE6, and without the proprietary driver it was a slug. Wine also has a lot of tweak options which may increase performance.

Wine can be helpful, but once I learned to live without Irfanview, I was better off using all native apps.
stolpiller

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 12:24:15 pm »

From your previous post I saw you were using a 1.6ghz / 512mb thinkpad.  This may just be a little short on juice for a running a non-native application.

Well it's not blazingly fast, but this app is quite small... size about like paintbrush.exe, but it runs ridicilously slow... so I don't think its the computer. I also tried running in X with openbox window manager, and got exacly the same result/speed as from within KDE.
stolpiller

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 12:27:39 pm »

I have found that the video driver can be important for wine performance. I did some compatibility testing with IE6, and without the proprietary driver it was a slug. Wine also has a lot of tweak options which may increase performance.

Wine can be helpful, but once I learned to live without Irfanview, I was better off using all native apps.

It's Intel graphics 855GM, and seems to be Mesa Dri driver..... Frozen bubble runs smoothly, and so is Quake3-OpenArena... on loooow settings Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: