VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 12:24:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm bored.  (Read 1217 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: May 17, 2010, 10:41:20 pm »

VL 6.0 is working great.  Nothing wrong.  Does about anything anyone could ask.  Why doesn't Vector build in some flaws....say something that works only 95% of the time, so we could have something to gripe about?

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 12:15:44 am »

For fun, get ash if you haven't and change the /bin/sh link to point to it. Debug. Still bored? OK:

For REAL fun, use ed as your command shell. See "The Friendly Edlin Page" for ideas.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC3.1, icewmvmods
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 05:07:31 am »

Sledgehammer, I know what you mean, it's enough to make you want to distro hop just to have something to fix...
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 05:39:55 am »

Actually,..things are about the same for me.  VL 6.0 works on most everything just fine.  It's most likely my dinky little dialup service that isn't playing nice with VL (and/or the Chestnut-dialer).  Seems the only thing I CAN'T do with VL 6.0, is to get on Ebay (which I can with any other distro).  That kind-of keeps me busy trying to find a solution that works.  Otherwise,....not any more problems at all (runs smooth as silk).  Not able to be at my computer very much right now, though (just mainly on the weekends).....so Vector is sooooooo nice to have and use. 
EDIT:  Oh shoot!  Just solved part of my problem,...so there goes the fun of "tinkering".  I replaced my own dialups DNS and put in the OpenDNS.  Now I get Ebay.  Couldn"t get addons for Firefox (from the Mozilla site) before.  Now I can.  Ah well,...maybe I can amuse myself with changing wallpapers and Conky.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 08:40:17 am by nitehawk » Logged
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 07:56:56 am »

I've had problems with Chestnut dialer too (in VL6 anyhway), but wvdial works better and doesn't lock up as much so that's what I use most of the time when I'm in Vector nowadays.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 09:19:55 am »

In my opinion, boredom is highly underrated.

Guess that is why I insist on sticking with KDE3 for a while longer.  Wink
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 07:15:04 pm »

Lucky you and pitty your boredom. I have more than my handsfull with problems
in my new VL-6-STD install. I should have stayed with LIGHT which my inner
voice was telling me I should do.  I might still change to it again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: