VectorLinux
September 19, 2014, 01:34:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm an Ubuntu user and wanted to try VectorLinux  (Read 1252 times)
Alb

« on: May 19, 2010, 11:48:23 am »

Hello,
I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 + LXDE (in dual boot with Windows 98 SE) on my daughter's old PC (Pentium III 500 MHz, 256 MB RAM, Nvidia Ge Force FX 5200 video card, Aureal Vortex AU8830 audio card.
Now, I wanted to try Vector Linux (I read that it's fast and light). Is it a difficult step to pass from Ubuntu to VectorLinux? Is there anything I should know before changing?
Best Regards
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 12:02:22 pm »

It would be a good idea to download and test a LiveCD version (Light or KDE-Classic). That way you can verify hardware compatibility (VL Standard has the same base). To fully utilize your video card you will need to install the kernel source and then the proprietary nvidia driver.
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 12:56:11 pm »

Welcome to Vector.

The transition should not be too difficult and if you need help this is a great forum to get it.
Hope you enjoy.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
Alb

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 12:21:03 pm »

... To fully utilize your video card you will need to install the kernel source and then the proprietary nvidia driver.
Is it enough just to install the kernel source or am I supposed to follow a particular procedure? In that case, is there a tutorial? I'm an absolute beginner in such things (I'm just used to install the package from the repository by means of APT or Synaptic).
Best Regards
P.S.
By the way, what's about HPLIP to manage HP Photosmart series printer-scanner-copier?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 06:35:42 pm »

Yep, there is a tutorial for nVidia here: http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/01.Installation/nvidia/nvidia.htm

Hplip can be installed using the package manager gslapt, which is similar to Synaptic.
xenone

Nothing Exists

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 05:26:19 am »

Ubuntu mean really Show off distro among linux social. But its nothing and snaily, and its a windows like famous. But the real Linux means find your self and say hello to your computer, Sure Vector'll offer you dat.

Nothing exists, Try t understand.
Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 05:46:09 pm »

Haven't run the buntu stuff for years now.  I can tell you Vector rocks though.  The help here is second to none (that I have found anyway).....I am actually using Vector LIVE on a macbook for the last two days the HD failed on.  (and after that gonna make it dual boot)........Anyway give it a shot, I think you'll be glad you did

Inspiron 4000 Laptop, VL 6.0  600 mhz; 384 ram : Inspiron1100 VL 6.0
Inspiron B120 & B130 Laptop, VL 6.0  1. 4& 1.5  ghz; 1gig ram
IBM Thinkpad Laptop, VL 6.0  1.5 ghz;  1 gig ram
Alb

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 12:35:56 pm »

Hello,
Thank you all for the suggestions. In particular the tutorial for Nvidia drivers installation is clear and easy to understand  Smiley
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 01:56:13 pm »

I have two older Nvidia cards (on two different computers, of course  Grin)  and Vector just installed the drivers when I installed Vector on my hard drives.  Now THAT was pretty super.  And as far as Ubuntu,...I think it's probably a very nice distro for those who care to use it.  I stay pretty far away from it,...or from any distro made from it.  (Just my personal preference).  I used Debian for quite a long time,...but just got tired of all the time it took to set it up right.  Mandriva Free is really excellent (IMO)...but the company has problems.  Vector just has everything I really need for my "main" distro.  BTW,...I used that Windows 98SE for a loooooong time (went on to W2K Pro,..but still longed for my good 'ol W98SE).   It was terrific for it's day (still is very "usable").  But times go on,....and Vector just fills in where my trusty ol' Win98SE was.  Vector (and linux, in general,) is different from good 'ol w98SE,....but if you can bridge the "learning gap" it will be well worth it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: