Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Ever wondered where all your disk space is going?  (Read 932 times)

Andy Price

• Packager
  • Vectorite
Ever wondered where all your disk space is going?
« on: May 20, 2010, 04:49:45 am »

I get by with an 80 GB drive for my home partition which is mainly non-archived data; recently the alarm bells started ringing when I noticed only 1.2 GB free. Must be all those photos and mp3s I thought, time for a bigger hard drive. Then I remembered installing Filelight from the repos a while back but never really using it, so I fired it up and checked on the biggest space users and found... 18 GB in /home/andy/.VirtualBox! I never realised that saving snapshots in VB took up so much space, so I chose the one I wanted and deleted/merged the others, saving around 17 GB in the process. Filelight makes it simple to identify the space hogs, so give it a try if you find yourself in my predicament. Or buy yourself that new hard drive you've always wanted  :)

• Vectorian
Re: Ever wondered where all your disk space is going?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 07:43:33 am »

Great suggestion.  Filelight is awesome.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511