VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 10:32:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Vector Linux  (Read 1464 times)
jpuhalski

« on: May 21, 2010, 08:01:41 am »

Hi all, I've been a big fan of Slackware for many years, started with it actually around 1996 with floppies on a 486.  I found Vector Linux by reading about other distro's at DistroWatch.  I've used others as well, Mandrake, Redhat/Fedora, and lately KUbuntu but wanted the slackware based one.

I downloaded and installed the free version which worked well but I wanted KDE 4 and thought it would be good to support Vector so I purchased the Deluxe download.  Well, the installation went well but I had to figure out how to install the additional packages and then ran into problems.  I had used gslapt to update the system first but when I put KDE 4 on I could not find gslapt so I used installpkg instead to find and install updates.  Then something broke and it would not boot correctly.  I just reinstalled the first disk and am starting over, it's running xfce now. 

I'm going to look through the forum to find where I should be posting my questions but if anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.  I couldnt find much documentation for how to get the Deluxe packages up and running.

My questions are:
1.)  now that I have a clean install, do I run gslapt to update the system? or should I add all the additional applications first?
2.)  what is the best way to update/upgrade once I get KDE 4 installed and running?

thanks
john
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 08:22:50 am »

There's a much easier way. Head down to the Distro Development forum and download the RC for SOHO6. It will have everything you need including KDE 4.  Grin

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=11737.0

Welcome to the zoo.  Cheesy

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
jpuhalski

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 08:40:51 am »

ok, thanks.  I'm downloading the test version 2.8 now.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Any documentation I might need to know about for that?

thanks
john
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 08:46:12 am »

If you're like the rest of us? Nope. Slap 'er in and let 'er rip. LOL

jpuhalski

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 11:51:03 am »

retired1af, thanks...i'm all set, installed without a hitch.  should i still run updates with this since it's a test version.  or do I just wait until it becomes stable?

thanks again
john
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 12:04:29 pm »

There are a few things you may wish to install (hardinfo and a newer vcpufreq), but all in all, you should be good to go.

jpuhalski

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 12:51:03 pm »

got it, sorry to  bother you with one more question but this computer is dual-boot and I have a shared partition, it's NTFS that usually linux always picks up and I can access it from a file manager.  It's not showing here or when I go to network.  Do you know how to get it to access those partitions?

thanks
john
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 12:57:50 pm »

Easy... Go to your menu, select Applications, System, and then VASMCC. You'll give it the root password and then get the utility. Go to Filesystem and you'll find the option to mount partitions. This will let you add your NTFS partition to /etc/fstab. Bear in mind, you'll need to reboot in order for those settings to kick in, or you can manually mount it in Terminal.

jpuhalski

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 01:49:24 pm »

Nice!!!  it's all working just fine now...thanks for the help
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: