VectorLinux
November 24, 2014, 12:08:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: trouble starting ImageMagick (Solved)  (Read 1434 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: May 23, 2010, 06:00:56 pm »

I need to convert some pdf files to jpg or similar so that they will show in google docs presentation.  I understand Imagemagick is good for that and downloaded it from the repositories.  It would not start or show in the menus. Thinking it might related to my later kernel, I tried it in the original VL 6.0 kernal, but still wouldn't start.

I then downloaded the source from ImageMagick (ver 6.6.1-10) and that didn't work either....said all was OK at configure and make, and seemed to compile fine, but when I tried to run it gave me the following error:

/usr/local/bin/convert: error while loading shared libraries: libMagickCore.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Suggestions?  Perhaps I need to link something.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 07:39:29 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 06:12:15 pm »

There's an easier way. Go here: http://www.oracle.com/us/products/applications/open-office/043539.html#pdfimport and download the pdf converter for OpenOffice.

You can then open PDF documents (it pulls it into Draw) and you can then save each page as a .jpeg.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 06:21:42 pm »

Thanks retired1af,

I will try that.

Quick update on my Imagemagick problem.  After sending the post, I went back to gslapt to put back abiword, gnumeric and psiconv, which had been deleted when I removed ImageMagic (thought I better before installing from source).

Putting those programs back reinstalled Vector's version of ImageMagick.  I think went to the source file and typed in "display" and ImageMagic 6.6.1-10 started.  Seems to work (at least it converted my pdfs to jpgs) but won't start with "ImageMagick."  Go figure.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 07:32:44 pm »

ImageMagick is the name of the suite, not a command to start the program. It's a command line program suite and doesn't have a graphical interface. You need to type the command for the program within the suite that will do what you want.

Type
man ImageMagick
to get the man pages for the suite. Find the command for what you want to do and then type that with whatever options and modifiers you choose to use.

There are about a jillion options, most of which I don't understand, but if you do
man convert
you can get the basic syntax, and going to
 http://www.imagemagick.org/script/convert.php
explains the many options if you want to go deeper into what ImageMagick's convert can do.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 07:38:55 pm »

Thanks Grannygeek,

What a silly boy am I.

John

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 10:29:43 pm »

And before ending, I want to thank retired1af for the open office pdf extension suggestion. I tried it and it does allow input of pdf docs into openoffice.  Kword and abiword do something similar, but the open office pdf import looks more promising.  We are constantly dealing with "official" forms in pdf format.  They can be filled out online, but data can't be saved.  So, heretofore, unless abiword or kword could import the form without too much damage, we were using flpsed.  flpsed is great for adding stuff to a pdf form, but difficult to edit if changes become necessary.

Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 03:00:45 am »

The GIMP also imports pdf and allows saving to jpeg etc, as I only recently discovered.
Andy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: