VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 10:03:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ooo - missing dependencies  (Read 2019 times)
SmartMart

« on: May 25, 2010, 03:28:42 am »

Trying to install openoffice.org from the VL repos I get the following error message:

---------- 8< ----------
Excluding openoffice.org due to dependency failure

openoffice.org: Depends: GConf>=2.22.0-i586-2gsb
---------- 8< ----------

And then a message about the perils of installing with missing dependencies.

What now?

Regards .....

Martin
Linux Registered User #357086
Using: 6.0 KDE-Classic-Live built on May7, 2010
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 03:52:04 am »

Go ahead and download the package, then install from command line (in a terminal, as root):
Code:
installpkg /path/to/package.tlz

It should work just fine without gconf.
SmartMart

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 04:01:13 am »

I understand what you mean but it was gslapt that gave me the error message. Would it be OK to ignore the error message and just click the "OK" button and let gslapt install the package.

Regards .....

Martin
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 04:12:46 am »

No. When you click execute, you'll see an option to check a box to download only. Select that, then run installpkg from terminal (as root).

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
SmartMart

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 04:41:20 am »

OK, I've done that and everything appears to have worked just fine - many thanks to the both of you for your help.

This now raises another point  Grin
As I'm new to VL, I'm still getting to grips with the VL way of doing things and I don't appreciate why I had to install the package with installpkg rather than gslapt.

Regards .....

Martin
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 04:46:17 am »

Because sometimes dependencies change, there's an error with the package, etc. etc. etc. etc. What we provided was a workaround to get things working quickly.

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 06:03:41 am »

Actually, when gslapt complains about missing dependencies it gives you a choice to continue installing regardless. So you don't actually need to download and installpkg.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 06:08:31 am »

Hmmm. GSlapt usually ignores those for me. Can't recall an option to continue regardless unless the package is downloaded only.

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 06:19:38 am »

Take blender for example, I am using my own local repo, which is a small subset of the VL6 repo (plus many packages have the dependencies TOO hardwired, so to speak), so I get a popup saying:

Excluding blender due to dependency failure

blender: Depends:   python = 2.5.2-i486-1

Missing dependencies may mean the software in
this package will not function correctly. Do you
want to continue without the required packages?

Cancel     OK

This is gslapt-0.5.3.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 06:28:16 am »

Linux gives you several different ways of achieving a goal. I often take the opportunity to introduce options when answering questions.

The manual download/install procedure can be very good to know, especially in the cases where gslapt wants to include a cascading list of dependencies which you do not want.

Since we are on that subject.. another way of doing the same thing would be the command "slapt-get --installl --no-dep openoffice"  Wink
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 06:38:32 am »

nightflier, I totally agree about slapt-get, specially since gslapt crashes a lot for me when you actually tell it to start installing, grrrrr. I mostly use it to find packages to install or upgrade, then use slapt-get to actually do it. That said, SmartMart wanted to know why it couldn't be done in gslapt... Wink

SmartMart

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 09:35:50 am »

Actually, when gslapt complains about missing dependencies it gives you a choice to continue installing regardless. So you don't actually need to download and installpkg.

Which is exactly why I raised the point of gslapt versus installpkg

Regards .....

Martin
SmartMart

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 09:38:23 am »

Hmmm. GSlapt usually ignores those for me. Can't recall an option to continue regardless unless the package is downloaded only.

The option to continue is presented before you are allowed to click the Execute button.

Regards .....

Martin
SmartMart

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 09:43:35 am »

Linux gives you several different ways of achieving a goal. I often take the opportunity to introduce options when answering questions.

I like your style  Grin

The manual download/install procedure can be very good to know, especially in the cases where gslapt wants to include a cascading list of dependencies which you do not want.

This raises another interesting point  Grin
How does one determine which deps are required rather than wanted, IYSWIM  Smiley

Since we are on that subject.. another way of doing the same thing would be the command "slapt-get --installl --no-dep openoffice"  Wink

Another useful addition to my ever-growing notes, thanks.

Regards .....

Martin
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 10:54:49 am »

How does one determine which deps are required rather than wanted

A very good question, to which I unfortunately don't have a very good answer, but I'll voice my opinion.

When I go to install a program and notice that a long list of dependencies are listed, I make a note of it, then install the desired program package by itself. Next, launch the program from a terminal prompt. If no errors, fine. If there is an error about a missing piece, go ahead and install that package. It may be necessary to do some research to figure out which package contains a certain lib or executable. Searching for it in gslapt often helps.

This unusual dependency chain usually occurs when you install a piece of the Gnome desktop. Due to the integration of the programs in this desktop environment, you may end up with a full Gnome installation to support the application you select in gslapt.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: