VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 05:49:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: [Solved] VL freeze at "starting the system" screen  (Read 2842 times)
joel2007

« on: May 27, 2010, 01:56:41 pm »

I did a full installation VL 6 Standard dual boot with XP pro.
I followed the instructions here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl60/manuals/vl6_installation_guide_en.html
Everything went perfectly. I chose XP as a default boot.
I got to the VL installation is now complete and I reboot the computer. Then I did the hardware configuration. I chose default setting. And then I start VL. Now it stuck at "starting the system" screen. I have to hit the power button to turn off the computer.
Please help me? Embarrassed.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 06:29:52 pm by joel2007 » Logged
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 03:15:49 pm »

I think (could be wrong) that you're freezing is happening at the time that X should start, which would indicate a probable display driver conflict.

Try choosing the 'linux-tui' option from the bootloader (i.e. lilo) and see if you can get to the login screen - you will be in a console only.  If you can get to this point then let us know and we can guide you to changing your display driver for something that will hopefully work better.
joel2007

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 03:38:49 pm »

I'm 100% brand new to linux. How do I choose linux-tui?
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 04:42:40 pm »

When your system boots do you see a screen where can choose between VL and Windows XP? If you do then this is the bootloader screen (i.e. lilo).  By default, VL Standard will create a boot option for itself 'linux' as well as a fail-safe text boot option (linux-tui), and in your case you should see another 'WindowsXP' option. Do you see these options on the bootloader screen?
joel2007

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 04:50:51 pm »

I only see:
Windows XP
Vector Linux
As soon as I choose VL, it goes to load screen.
I don't see fail-safe text boot option (linux-tui) when I reboot the computer?
roarde
Vectorite

move the needle

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 05:14:22 pm »

linux-tui might not be in your menu. It is there normally, but you might have unchecked that option.
Or you might have chosen something that disables the wait period. With no wait, there's zero time to choose anything.

This probably won't work, but try it:  When it hangs, press Ctrl-Alt-F3 .  It might get you a text screen. If it does, someone may be able to help more.

Did you use the graphical GUI installer, or the text-based one? That info would help.
Edit: I see from the other post you used the GUI, right?

Luck.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 05:16:05 pm by sixforty » Logged

Robert
VL Light 7.0, icewm/spacefm
joel2007

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 05:20:27 pm »

Ctrl-Alt-F3 did not work.
I used GUI installer.
Now it stuck at Going to mutiluser GUI mode...
roarde
Vectorite

move the needle

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 06:45:44 pm »

It looks like default for the GUI installer is to not include the linux-tui option. That can be fixed if we can get a usable screen and keyboard.

Try Ctrl-Alt-F3 again, but tap F3 twice.

Didn't work?

OK, as soon as it says "Going to multiuser GUI mode ...", hit Ctrl-Alt-Backspace five times. Release all keys each time you hit them. The screen won't change; but wait 10 seconds and try Ctrl-Alt-F3 again (hold Ctrl-Alt and tap F3 twice). You might get a text screen, and we can go from there. By "we" I mean someone. I have to sleep now, but will check in when I can. You'll probably have someone better to help by then.

No text screen? You may want to start over and be sure to include linux-tui.
See http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/01.Installation/windualboot/dualbootwin.htm

Also, choose VESA for video and start with resolution 1024x768. This should get basic graphics working. Once that happens, the resolution and the driver can be changed.

Robert
joel2007

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 09:01:04 pm »

Hello,
I just start over. This time, it has linux-tui at boot up. I chose VESA at hardware configuration.
The problem is the same. It just stops at "starting the system" screen.
Windows XP works well.
Please tell me what I need to do next?
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 10:53:14 pm »

Here is a vxconf trouble shooting tut, hope it helps.
Using vxconf to adjust xorg.conf the Video conf file.
This also may be of help.
4 ways to enter the text user interface.

and also this one.  It shows how to find and get to the xorg.conf file with nano from the text user interface. It may be a way you can let us know what is going on in there.  You may also try experimenting with lower resolutions or try going with a Default Color depth of 16 rather than 24
Editing text/conf files with nano

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
joel2007

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 12:07:20 am »

I start the linux-tui. When I get to the login. The keyboard does not respond Cry.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 03:09:28 am »

Try to select linux-tui, then press the Tab key. This will allow you to edit the startup commands. Change "vga=XXX" to "vga=normal" and press enter to boot.
roarde
Vectorite

move the needle

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 04:27:32 am »

Are you able to type the username, but not the password? Or it will not accept any input at all?

Hint for other helpers: Didn't I see something about problems with older VESA, starting with 6.0, in some thread? I can't find it now.

Robert
joel2007

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 09:47:21 am »

Hello,
As soon as it shows: "Vector login". The keyboard stops responding.
I also did try press the Tab key. But I don't see where I can change "vga=XXX" to "vga=normal"?
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 10:19:27 am »

You do that at the boot screen where you select the boot option.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: