VectorLinux
July 31, 2014, 11:34:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Solved] VL freeze at "starting the system" screen  (Read 3078 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 10:25:01 am »

I should have said: select linux-tui with the up/down arrow keys, then press Tab
Screen should blink a little and bring up an editable line.
Make sure there is a space after "linux-tui" then type vga=normal and press Enter.
joel2007

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 10:38:54 am »

I highlight linux-tui, then press the Tab key.
boot: VectorLinux-tui vga=normal
It happens the same. When I get to the login. The keyboard does not respond.
I have tried 2 keyboards.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 11:37:11 am »

Running out of ideas here.. how about letting it boot to login screen, then hitting Ctrl-Alt-F2, then try to log in?
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 02:57:30 pm »

Another long shot.... once you reach the login screen, try unplugging the keyboard and plugging it back in. If that doesn't work and it's a USB keyboard, try plugging it into a different USB port. If you've only been trying PS/2 keyboards, and you have a usb keyboard to try then give it a try to see if it works.

My only other idea is to ensure that your install CD is 100%.

To see if the CD is 100% then you would boot from cd and at the 'boot:' prompt you would type 'linux' without the quotes.  This will load the text user interface installer (TUI installer) at which point you'll choose: Start, Install, Check, and then using the spacebar put an 'X' next to each option and then hit Enter. This will start the process of ensuring that all installable data on the disc is correct. The process will take many minutes and will provide a message indicating if there are any problems with the disc. If no problems are found then the installer will start walking you through a new install starting with choosing a 'Swap Partition'. If you do not want to reinstall using the TUI installer then just use the right arrow to choose 'Cancel', after which you can 'Exit' the installation.
joel2007

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 04:41:30 pm »

Hello,
I know what cause the problem. It's the Encore 802.11g PCI wireless adapter with RTL8185L chip.
I just took it out. I can login now Smiley.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know I have been bother you guys last 2 days. Is it possible to make the wireless adapter works with VL?
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 05:17:07 pm »

Networking is my weakest point, but I did find this: http://gajon.org/installing-realtek-rtl8185-wireless-card/
If it works in Slackware, it will probably work in Vector, but don't go to that much trouble yet. Wait for someone who's better with networking and wireless drivers in Vector to respond. There's probably an easier and more compatible way.

There just aren't many new users who have the patience you do. The Vector Team (as in not me) keeps changing things so the patience is less needed. In the meantime, helping someone who has the interest and patience you do is a joy and an education; the opposite of a bother. Thank you.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 05:50:09 pm »

Nice job figuring it out.  Smiley

At this point, it would be good to edit your first post, and add [solved] to the title.

Next, start a new thread in the hardware and driver section about your network adapter.
Describe the problem in as much detail as possible and be prepared for some trial and error.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: