VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 09:18:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless USB Adapter Drivers?  (Read 808 times)
jay_

« on: May 27, 2010, 03:09:56 pm »

Hi all, Im new to the forum and linux (as in i didnt know what linux was 2 hours ago lol)
I have an old laptop that was running XP and it was going extremely slow and sluggish. I had no choice but convert to linux and its working great on Vector Linux Light 6.0. I dont really need to learn how to use linux because i am only going to use the laptop to surf the net and use a word based application program. Only problem is i cant get my wireless usb adapter to work to access the internet. I have the driver cd but cant get the drivers to install?

I did a bit of research and am i supposed to use VINE that will allow windows applications to work so i can install the setup.exe from the driver cd? Or can i get the windows drivers to install somehow through terminal?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a stupid question, like i said i dont know anything about linux
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 03:19:50 pm »

Things work differently enough in linux that those drivers will not install the way you're used to in Windows.  There are several possibilities on your wireless device, but we'll need more information to help you get the device up and running. In all actuality, the device may already be active and just waiting for you to create a default wireless profile (look for wicd somewhere in your "start" menu)

Open a terminal/console/shell, and enter the commands below. You will need to be the root user (i.e. administrator user) for most of the commands.  It would be good if you could copy/paste the output from each command in a post here so one of us can help you in more detail:

lspci
lsmod
ifconfig -a
iwconfig
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 03:21:45 pm by newt » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 03:42:20 pm »

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a stupid question, like i said i dont know anything about linux

Not stupid at all. Asking questions is the smart thing to do. It's a good idea to provide the information that newt mentions, that gives us something to work with. A shortcut that's worth trying, is to type "VLwifi" at the command prompt (as root). Note the the captialization, Linux is case sensitive. If your card is recognized, this may just get you set up.
jay_

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 03:52:15 pm »

Thanks for your reply!
I have Wicd network manager under start but it does not find any wireless networks as if it is not connected to my adapter.

I have logged in as the root user and here's the commands:

(sorry i had to take photos off my phone as obviously dont have internet on that computer)
jay_

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 04:05:50 pm »

Not stupid at all. Asking questions is the smart thing to do. It's a good idea to provide the information that newt mentions, that gives us something to work with. A shortcut that's worth trying, is to type "VLwifi" at the command prompt (as root). Note the the captialization, Linux is case sensitive. If your card is recognized, this may just get you set up.

Thank you! VLwifi to recognises the 'wireless interface wlan0' but everytime i try and configure my device i get an error that the address could not be obtained no matter which settings i choose. When opening wpa_gui i get the message "could not get status from wpa_supplicant". Is this due to the usb adapter not being properly installed with correct drivers?
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 04:51:14 pm »

It looks like your wireless device is present and just waiting to be configured properly for your local network.  In your 3rd and 4th picture it's the 'wlan0' device, and shows an active status with an IP address of 192.168.0.2. The fact that it's showing this successful information means that the drivers should already be loaded and the device working correctly.  It's just a matter of getting it connected/configured for your network.

Do you use wireless security on your network? If so, which method? WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc?

Also, do you happen to know if your wireless access point (maybe your router) uses DHCP, or do you have to manually assign IP addresses? In other words, if you were to connect a Windows machine to your wireless network would you have to manually set the IP address or would it happen automatically?
jay_

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 07:50:20 am »

every time i try and configure it vector linux crashes, i even reinstalled the OS but same problems i think im just going to install windows 95 or 98 and see how i get along. Thanks for your help anyway
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: