VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 06:18:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for someone...  (Read 8634 times)
Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« on: May 29, 2010, 04:26:21 pm »

So as some of you know, I'm the one who started the whole Vector Linux Multimedia Bonus Disc thing: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/

Unfortunately I won't be able to continue with the project due to more pressing matters, especially in the near future years (work + school + family, etc...). Part of the reason that the project has not seen any new updates for a while now has been the time issue and also I was making excuses about waiting around for VL6 SOHO to build on.

I am wondering, is there anyone who would be interested in continuing the project? I have all the source code, scripts, the manual, website, in short, everything that I could pass on to someone who might have more time to devote to the project. I made lots of easy-to-use scripts that are especially made with future development in mind.

So here's the plug. I have all the development tools, but you don't necessarily need to be a developer or a Linux-whiz to take on this project. I would also be very willing to help someone who hasn't had very much experience packaging or anything (I definitely knew almost nothing when I started this project). After all, you have to start somewhere. I'd be sure to walk you through all the scripts and the process of packaging and all that.

If no one is interested in taking this on, I'll give all my stuff to the VL-devs for safe-keeping, hoping that something can be done with it. Don't get me wrong, I really believe in the project and would love to see it kept going. It's been a great learning experience and a lot of fun. You can reach me through PM or post questions in this thread.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 05:17:12 pm »

Another thing, the VectorLinuxSolutions website is going to expire on June 8. I can get the domain name and stuff transferred to someone if we want to keep the site around. Otherwise, it will die.

Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 05:21:13 pm »

Sorry to hear you won't be continuing with the project. It was a wonderful group of files. I understand about not having time to continue, though.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 06:42:01 pm »

I'd be interested.  It seems like it would be a good fit with the videos available at opensourcebistro.

I am wondering, is there anyone who would be interested in continuing the project? I have all the source code, scripts, the manual, website, in short, everything that I could pass on to someone who might have more time to devote to the project. I made lots of easy-to-use scripts that are especially made with future development in mind.

As well as the above, I'd be very interested in hearing what you see as the future course of the project.

Wherever, or with whomever you decide to place the project, it should be said that you created something that was good for Vector and appreciated by the community.
Ken

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 07:38:13 am »

Ken,

I'd love to have you take over the project. You have a great thing going with opensourcebistro and I've been impressed by it. You might also want to talk to cintyram because he had sent an email a while back regarding VLSolutions and mentioned you.

As far as future development, I've mostly had a few ideas here and there on how it could further be integrated with VL (MMBD items in VAMSCC, a MMBD control panel of some sort, etc...). We can talk about these more in depth and get some input from the community as well. Also I have a few development setups for a Server Solutions Disc and a Gaming Disc as well that were never finished (well, barely started anyway). I don't know if those ideas will ever take off but they could be fun to get going in the same manner as the MMBD.

What I'd like to be able to do is pass off all the source code and such, but I'd still probably be able to contribute to it a bit. I just won't have time to pull everything together for releases and all that.

Also, if anyone else is interested, it'd be nice to have more people help with the project!

cintyram
Packager

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 08:37:34 am »

Hey Dweeberkitty,
 First up, thanks a lot for making the MMBD possible in the first place.  And then thanks again for making sure that it survives and thrives!
 While its a little bit sad to see that you wont be spending as much time, its really good to see that we are going through a good process of transition.  I am also very eager and willing to help continue the project. Let us discuss with ken[ stretchedthin] over the phone and post more specifics for the rest of the community to provide their input.
Cheers
Ram
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 11:23:00 am »

What about setting a github repo? it would make easier the merging of casual contributions, and to synchronize main devs commits.

Just my 2c

cintyram
Packager

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 02:33:25 pm »

Making a public repo is a good idea. some of us already use assembla for git repos. But github is cool too
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 01:18:52 am »

I didn't know about assembla.  it seems nice too, but not free Sad

There's also gitorious, but I haven't tried it. It seems github gets all the buzz out there.

Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 05:00:47 am »

I've never used either github or assembla but I definitely agree with kidd about some sort of public repo making it easy to handle "casual contribution." That would help a lot I think.

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 05:26:41 am »

if you need  help to set up the git repo or upload to github, ask and you shall receive Smiley

Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 07:23:46 am »

if you need  help to set up the git repo or upload to github, ask and you shall receive Smiley

I am now asking.....  Wink

First you should know that the project consists of almost 100% packaging stuff (about 5-6gb worth). I don't know if that needs to be taken into consideration.

Thanks kidd! Let me know what I need to do to get this setup.

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 09:04:00 am »

I don't think sources of apps should go into the repo, but only the scripts to build them.

We have the $LINK variable in SlackBuild files, so we could set the url there, but having 5 Gb in a repo would make it unusable.

First, sign up at github, it's free.

* Then you should start a repo in your root directory of mmbd project.  (git init .)
* Then add all files but the tar.gz files. that's the tricky part, because others should be able to get those tar.gz's in some way...  I can't find a smart and non-painful way to do it.
* commit changes of the added files (git commit -m "initial upload")
* Set up a new repo at github (through the menus on their site)
* Follow the instructiions there.
* Finally, git push
* done!

Anyone has a good solution for solving step 2 without adding files one by one?

Cya!

Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 09:33:49 am »

I assume that the final packages that are built with the scripts should also not go into the repo then? Everything is setup with the regular packaging format (program/version/program.tlz & program/version/src/allthatcrap)

Perhaps it would be easier to just have everything on an FTP host?

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 02:26:03 pm »

Maybe It'd be better to have all the stuff in an ftp, and migrate to github little by little.  then you won't have to deal with the trouble alone.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: