VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 11:31:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: starting firestarter  (Read 4869 times)
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 07:39:33 am »

Bigpaws, I tried the iptables -L command. I could just see where my SAMBA rule comes in but wouldn't have a hope in hell of writing it. GUI front-ends are so useful sometimes!
Andy
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 08:07:42 am »

This thread has been very educational, but I can see that I need to learn more, a lot more, about this firewall business.  I hope to do so over the next few weeks or months. Its more complicated than I thought.  Perhaps if and when I come to understand the concepts involved, I can figure out how to autostart a reasonably reliable and automatically (mostly) configured firewall on reboot.

thanks.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 08:40:12 am »

If one really wants to get technical about it, iptables is also a front end for netfilter, which does the actual "work" on the system.

This is a fairly extensive tutorial on how IP filtering works. http://www.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial/iptables-tutorial.html  Grab a bottle of aspirin and sit down for a very technical read. However, once you grasp the concepts, you'll find that you'll pretty much be able to lock down your system so tightly, a mouse fart can't get through. Grin

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 01:07:34 pm »

Thanks retired1af.

Think I'l sit down with a bottle of Jack Daniels instead.

Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 04:27:03 pm »

Perhaps if and when I come to understand the concepts involved, I can figure out how to autostart a reasonably reliable and automatically (mostly) configured firewall on reboot.

It seems (it is!) a complicated topic, but setting up is really just a case of installing Firestarter and setting the firewall to run in VASM. The hard part is convincing yourself that it's working - it was for me. But for basic firewall security I think that's all you need to do. Let us know if you discover more during your reading.
Andy
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 04:32:35 pm »

Thanks retired1af.

Think I'l sit down with a bottle of Jack Daniels instead.

John - Use Firestarter one time to set your iptables parameters. Then go into vasm -> service -> srvset -> 4 Graphical User Interface Desktop. Enable 'firewall' and click 'OK'. Your firewall will be running in the background every time you boot or reboot. You can verify it at anytime by opening a root terminal and typing iptables -L.....

You can buy me a Jameson tomorrow night at our Cigar Lions meeting.....  Wink

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 07:06:09 pm »

We should all go to one of those meetings once Smiley

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 07:13:48 pm »

Thanks Andy Price,

That is precisely what I am doing. 

Rodrigo, I think we should have our annual cigar lions convention in Argentina.  If I can talk never_stop_learning into it, that is.  I hear the women there are superb. Perhaps all 20 of us might just show up at your door someday. 

Penguinista
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 09:29:52 am »

I've got the Firestarter GUI running on my VL 6.0. It seems to work great but the GUI shuts down at random and I don't know why. Is there a way to prevent this?
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 02:49:25 am »

Do you mean that you need the GUI to run all the time for some reason? It isn't necessary to have the GUI running for the firewall to be working. Normally you would just open the GUI to make a change to the settings and then close it again.
Andy
Penguinista
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 02:57:46 am »

I like to keep the gui running so I can monitor active connections and events. I tried to verify if the firewall is running at the command line but it didn't work. At least if the gui is up I know it's working.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: