VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 07:07:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL on Asus K40?  (Read 2307 times)
farmersdaughter

« on: June 02, 2010, 04:51:57 pm »

I'm on the hunt for a new OS Wink and came across VL.  To be honest, I have used a VM of VL Light before.  Now my favorite Linux OS is under going a huge change and update support has been lost.  Anyway, I know that there is no 64 bit out there at the moment but will the following hardware work well with VL6? Nvidia GeForce G102M graphics, Atheros wireless, Realtek ethernet, Intel Core2 Duo T6400, and a Nvidia MCP79 chipset. Linux is my sole operating system, and I customize it quite a bit (using CrunchBang 9.04 right now).  However thanks to school, I need something a bit more supported and I'm wondering if VL6 will do this for me.  I can't decide between Light and Standard as I like light and fast but love Openbox and LXDE.  Thoughts?
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 06:15:50 pm »

Hi, farmersdaughter

Just for checking to see what hardware might be a problem, you might try the kde[3] classic live version.
See http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=11742.0    I doubt you're both an Openbox and Kde fan, but this can check what works out-of-the box in an easy environment, without installing.

There will be issues with Nvidia; most answers are already in this forum. Please post back if you decide to go ahead and you encounter these problems.

As for which to install, choose Standard. I use and love Light, but there's more community familiarity with Standard, so it's better tested, etc. I've a single core 32-bit via here, and the Kde live version is even bearable for speed; you definitely have the horses to run Standard happily.

Latest version of Openbox currently in the repos is 3.4.7.2. Subject to change, of course. Nearly all Slackware 12.1 pacakges will work, so will many Slack 13 packages. Repo also has lxde-common at 0.3.2.1 and associated packages.

Others will respond to your post also. Are you planning to start VL in a separate partition at first, or to otherwise keep your current distro available while checking out Vector? Knowing this might affect opinions given.

Have fun, hth

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.3, icewmvmods
farmersdaughter

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 03:37:30 pm »

Thanks.  I'll be keeping my current distro until I think I have the new one the way I like it.  Nvidia and Linux don't seem to have the best of relationships.  I might go with Standard in that case.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: