I managed to somewhat get it to work...but still problematic:
1) removed ndiswrapper and recompiled it from source.
2) physically disconnected the wireless usb adapter from my computer.
3) installed the wifi drivers using ndiswrapper (successfully)
4) removed the ndiswrapper module from the kernel
rmmod -f ndiswrapper 5) added the ndiswrapper module to the kernel
modprobe ndiswrapper 6) physically inserted the wireless usb adapter to my computer
7) opened the wicd manager --> Preferences --> General Settings --> WPA Supplicant Driver --> wext
This way it works, however it will freeze if I plug in the adapter before entering the command
modprobe ndiswrapper .
This means that I can't have ndiswrapper run on startup while my wireless adapter is plugged in or else my computer will freeze on bootup.