VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 11:39:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brasero or vburn doesn't find the disc  (Read 1615 times)
brampieke

« on: June 07, 2010, 02:35:29 am »

Hi,

I'm trying to burn a DVD, but brasero or vburn doesn't find my disc or says that's empty.

When I open nautilus I can find my cdrom.

I can also find in the console that my cdrom is busy...

(I work with VL 6.0 Light)
greetings
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 02:55:21 am by brampieke » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 04:32:38 am »

Vburn only handles CDs, not DVDs.

If you installed Brasero on Light, you got the whole Gnome desktop along with it. Your system is considerably heavier and more complex by now. You say that the Nautilus built-in burning option works ok?
brampieke

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 04:35:12 am »

Ok, Then I better remove Brasero then.

The thing is that I never erased and burned dvd with something like nautilis.
How can it be done?
brampieke

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 04:54:00 am »

Brasero didn't find anything..

But vburn works with a cd. What program do you suggest for erasing and burning DVDs?
brampieke

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 05:15:31 am »

How can I burn an iso with vburn?
I burned an image but this wasn't good..
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 05:23:39 am »

k3b

roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 08:56:28 am »

Sorry, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean here:

How can I burn an iso with vburn?
I burned an image but this wasn't good..

I understand it as: You burned an iso to disc, but then had trouble reading the disc.

Several people have had that problem. Slowing down write speed helps most of them. You could change that in ~/.cdrdao, but I suggest making or editing /etc/cdrdao.conf. Vburn uses cdrdao, so it reads one or both of those files. Here's my /etc/cdrdao.conf:

Code:
write_device: "ATA:0,0,0"
write_speed: 18
My drive can supposedly do x24 write speed, but I have trouble past x18, so I limited it.

My ~/.cdrdao:

Code:
write_device: "ATA:0,0,0"
read_device: "ATA:0,0,0"
Some situations call for read device to be set. I have only one CD drive, but since I might get one for USB, I put this in my ~/ rather than in /etc/cdrdao.conf where it would set it for the whole system.

Another possible meaning of your statement is that you just don't like vburn. Vector has more tools available in packages, and those who know what you mean will give suggestions.

As for vburn, did I miss an update, or is the "copy" (disc-to-disc) function broken? I'm slowly doing some work on my copy of vburn, which I'll share if there's something useful. Are there change suggestions I might like and include?

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 11:09:03 am »

Vburn was written for use on computers that could not handle the bigger software packages, and for very simple tasks.

For more capable machines, I'm with M0E-lnx; K3B is the best choice, IMHO.

Installing K3B will also get you kdelibs, which will enable running other KDE applications.

<opinion>
Unless you are using VL Light for learning Linux, it may not be the best choice for you. Adding Gnome and KDE to it makes it heavy. Going straight to VL Standard or VL KDE-Classic will give you a system with more capable applications pre-installed.
</opinion>
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 11:39:59 am »

As for vburn, did I miss an update, or is the "copy" (disc-to-disc) function broken?

You are correct. I just checked, and line 78 of /usr/bin/vburn is wrong. It should say "copy", not "folder". Looks like it's time for a bugfix update. Thank you for using it and wanting to improve upon it. It would be great if you would PM me with any other issues you find.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: