VectorLinux
September 20, 2014, 05:42:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I can't test VL7 the way I'd like to  (Read 1204 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« on: June 09, 2010, 08:06:36 pm »

I'm using VL6 SOHO RC2.8 as my main system while awaiting the final version. Everything has been fine there. I also installed VL7 Alpha on another partition. I'd like to give it a good workout but I can't. The reason:
     My mother passed away on April 3 at age 91. She lived across the road and I talked on the phone with her every day for almost 30 years and of course, saw her often. I  miss her a lot. However, at the same time my husband and I are immensely grateful that she died almost exactly as she had often said she wanted to. She hadn't been sick and she died in her own home of a probable heart attack. She was gone within minutes or seconds. She lived alone, which meant of course that my husband and I faced the immense job of cleaning out her house and getting it ready to be sold.

My brother and sister-in-law did drive up from a distant state and stayed for three weeks while they did a great job of sorting and organizing. But my sister-in-law's mother is 93 and not in the best condition, so they couldn't stay longer.

The sad fact is that my dear mother was a major-league hoarder. She saved EVERYTHING. I'm talking about things like toilet paper wrappers, lids from milk containers, backing paper from stamps *after* the stamps were all gone, empty spools from thread, all junk mail, every card she ever received including the envelopes, thousands of grocery coupons, every recipe she ever found from newspapers, magazines, and package labels, thousands of photos, and on and on.  Unfortunately, it's not just a matter of finding a bag of junk and throwing it out. Every piece has to be gone through because Mother would slip family photos and mementos in junk mail envelopes and stuff everything into a plastic bag or box.

My father died 12 years ago. He and my mother never got rid of broken TVs, lawn mowers, small appliances, and duplicate pots and pans, so we're faced with piles of stuff that most likely does not work and we have to test it before we discard it. We have a massive 30-foot dumpster along Mother's driveway and it's filling up fast.

My husband, who'll be 73 in 3 months, works all day at the house and I've been sorting and going through stuff 8 hours a day every day for almost two months. This is not an exaggeration. The end is starting to get in sight but I estimate at least another week before I finish sorting. Then I have the equally mammoth task of finding room for the stuff we're keeping. Our house is small, we have no basement or attic, and our living room right now is covered with boxes except for a few square feet. We have hired a couple to organize an estate sale that I hope will find new homes for the furniture, pots, dishes, TVs, appliances, books, tools, etc.

One good thing coming from this is that any hoarding tendencies I had have been thoroughly rooted out. I've never been much of a hoarder but like many of us, I keep things I should get rid of. Once Mother's house in on the market, I'm getting to work on our place and putting everything that's just taking up space into a yard-sale pile.

One thing that's scary about hoarding is that there seems to be a hereditary component. My mother's sister was a world-class hoarder--her house was like what you see on those TV shows about hoarders. Her brother was also a serious hoarder. Maybe it had something to do with growing up in the Depression of the '30s and having an alcoholic father. Since neither of those was the case with me, I hope I won't develop this difficult psychological disorder.

Anyway, I don't generally get on the computer until after 8 p.m. and that's to do my e-mail and forums, which doesn't leave much time for testing. Please excuse my venting.
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 08:22:41 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 10:18:34 pm »

Seems like you really have your hands full.  I along with the rest of the VLer's will attempt to really give vl7 a work over in your absence.  You've got to put first things first, and we all understand that family is always the priority.  My condolences on your mothers passing.  She may have collected a lot of stuff but I'm sure the most important thing to her was always just across the road.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 03:11:24 am »

Hi Granny,

My condolences on the passing of you Mother.  I lost my Mom on May 13th just one month before her 96 birthday.  So I can understand the loss somewhat.  We will pray for you in the coming weeks.

Dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 03:18:45 am »

Granny,

Sorry to hear about your hardship. Take your time getting everything done, and let us know how you're doing.

Roy
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 08:08:40 am »

GrannyGeek,

I'm very sorry for your loss, and sorry for the other difficulties you're having.  My dad died eight years ago.  His loss was very painful for me and I still miss him.

You are very valuable to this Linux distribution/community, but some things are more important.  I'm certain that everyone understands that.

Please take care of yourself.  I will be thinking of you.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 01:11:35 pm »

GrannyGeek...
Really sorry to hear that your Mom passed away.  My mom just turned 94...and even though she seems to be in fairly good health for her age,...I know she won't be here forever.  I have a hard time just trying to think what it will be like not to have her around.  She mentioned that when her Mom passed (at the age of 98)...that it took her the longest to get over the fact (as she put it:) "...Mom just no longer was here in this physical world like she had been all my life".   And you know how it doesn't help when people (trying to be well-meaning, I suppose) say something stupid like:  "Oh well,...you know she's in her 90's".  The fact that some of our Mom's are in their 90's,...doesn't make it any easier.
  And I can imagine about your work to clean out the hoarding.  Although my Mom must be in a nursing home,..(being an artist and an avid reader)...I will have tons of pictures, artwork and books to go through.  Nothing on the scale that you are having, however.  I also cannot test VL7 just now either.  Helping out my extremely busy (right now) daughter and son-in-law.
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 02:44:34 pm »

Even though this seems to be the end of someone special, this is only the beginning of a new life for her.

Despite what it may seam, keep in mind that - "there is hope beyond the grave."

I, too, am disheartened to hear the passing of your mother (I had no idea of the internal pain you are going through).

My Grandmother reminds me that "weeping endureth the night, but joy cometh in the morning!"

Her joy will be to watch you shine.

I'll share a special prayer tonight by a sacred river for her.
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 10:10:45 am »

GrannyGeek,
I am sorry to hear about your loss and I sincerely hope that with time you will feel better.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 07:23:07 pm »

I'd like to thank all of you for your kind thoughts and expressions of sympathy, and my own sympathy for those of you who have recently lost loved ones.

We are doing okay here. I got through Easter, Mother's Day, and my birthday without falling apart. I'm almost done with the sorting (after 8 hours a day for two months!) and the estate sale is scheduled for this Saturday, with next Saturday also if there is enough left over. Of course, work does not end because we have to have a few repairs done and make other arrangements before we can put the house up for sale. Our own house looks like a warehouse, with boxes all over the floor everywhere, furniture in the hall, my kitchen counters full of stuff I have to find a place for, and many boxes of things we're keeping that need further sorting.

One thing that helped me with coming to terms with Mother's death was making a slide show from 99 photos of her and my dad's life. Most of these photos had to be scanned, and then I arranged them in roughly chronological order along with captions and IDs of the people in the photos. I used Picasa to create an album of the photos in the order I wanted them and then I made a video from the album. I burned the video to a DVD that can be viewed on any DVD player as well as a computer. I had to use Windows for this, as Picasa for Linux does not make movies. As I write notes to people who were special to Mother or sent us cards, I enclose a copy the DVD and her obituary. The earliest photo went back to 1920. Lots of happy memories there!
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: