VectorLinux
August 21, 2014, 11:33:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Internet Explorer alternatives- Avant, Orca or IEsLinux?  (Read 1963 times)
prince
Vectorite

« on: June 16, 2010, 06:44:27 pm »

This browser uses the Internet Explorer engine.  I understand there are some people, out there, that can not do without IE, right now. 

http://www.avantbrowser.com/index.html

I didn't find any limitations, maybe stretchedthin or someone can double check on its license?

Excuse me, everyone, my internet and computer time, as a whole, has been very limited.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:32:15 pm by prince » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 06:50:57 pm »

As far as I know, you have to have Internet Explorer installed in order to use Avant Browser. So what's the point for Linux?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 07:30:20 pm »

Do you mean that you have to install IE4sLinux, first?

***IE4sLinux Download:

http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/download.html
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 07:42:45 pm by prince » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 08:08:51 pm »

According to http://www.avantbrowser.com/support.html#systemreq , these are the system requirements for Avant Browser:

"You will need 300 MHz or higher processor, 128MB RAM or more. The operating system should be Windows 2000/2003, Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7. Internet Explorer version 6.0,7.0 or 8.0 should be installed.
"For ideal performance: a user should have least Windows XP and Internet Explorer 7.0 or better."

The highest version of IE that IEs4linux goes to is IE 6, with IE7 support being beta and experimental. Also, IEs4linux is not intended to function as a real browser, just as a way to test things that require IE. So it's possible Avant Browser wouldn't work on it anyway because it's not a full IE.

I just don't understand why there would be any excitement over Avant Browser (which requires IE, does not replace it) with regard to Linux. Why not just install IEs4linux? Or if you want the real IE, get Crossover Linux and install IE 6, which Crossover does claim to support at the Silver Medal level.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 09:25:26 pm »

Well, from what I understand, a previous install of IE isn't necessary, but is highly recommended for trouble-free and smoother install.
The Avant Browser install has been installed on another linux box by the use of the USB version and:

IE6 [ I didn't download it. IEs4Linux installed all the needed files ]
Avant 11.6 build 11
Wine 1.0-rc1 [ 0.9 works too ]
IEs4Linux 2.99.0.1 

and:

https://launchpad.net/~awn-testing/+arc ... /+packages

it is avant-window-navigator

If this browser can't work harmoniously with Vector then the Orca web browser was written in C++ and is using the Gecko engine (as opposed to Avant's Trident engine).
I thought it introduced some  interesting features ...,such as online storage, but now realize that that particular feature may not be possible on Linux.  Orca may be a more suitable candidate.

Orca is a browser based on Avant and Firefox 3.0

Orca download:
                     http://www.avantbrowser.com/download.html
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 03:02:34 am by prince » Logged
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 09:42:56 pm »

By the way, thanks, I do have CrossOver Linux Professional version 8.1,
but I had a solution in mind for those that don't have CrossOver installed on their Linux box.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 03:04:45 am by prince » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 04:42:13 pm »

Thanks for the additional information. If anyone on this board installs Orca or Avant, I hope they'll tell us how it is working and if they had to do anything special.

Just so everyone is clear, Avant and Orca are *Windows* programs. They do not have Linux versions. You would need Wine or Crossover or Windows XP or above running in a virtual machine.

It seemed to me that the most of Orca's "features" are already available with Firefox or Opera, or through Firefox extensions.
--GrannyGeek

prince
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 06:31:37 am »

Thanks, GrannyGeek.

Just to Add*********

To everyone:
                 Where am I going with this? Recently I've worked with a business that required Interenet Explorer, in order to open the cash register.
That's right, their cash register is networked and secured by a remote company. Without the internet (and ... Internet  Explorer's Trident engine) they can't give you change or a receipt.

For some strange reason Internet Explorer wouldn't install on their dual hard drive, however, Avant did install and they were able to conduct business.
Nowadays, there are still some sites that might refuse one access without the Internet Explorer (Trident Engine).

I would like people on Linux and Unix to  enjoy as much access to websites as possible as they do in MS Windows, even if it requires the use of MS Windows
designed software.

Look at Google's Picasa. In order to get full functionality, with the latest features, one has to download the Windows edition, in addition to the Linux version.
Let's face it, there are many sources out there that still preclude and downplay open-source progression. 

I hope this will help in obviating the need for MS os. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:40:29 am by prince » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 03:30:58 pm »

Thanks for explaining, and I agree with you. We do live in what's largely a Windows world and there are still things that don't work except with Windows software, or even specifically Internet Explorer. We can hope that with the growth of Smartphones not using Windows as their OS, more and more applications will be platform neutral. But it won't happen tomorrow, leaving the Linux user to choose between maintaining purity and doing without or making some accommodation that will work on Linux, even if it needs Wine or Crossover or Windows in a virtual machine.
--GrannyGeek

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 04:47:51 pm »

There is no decent alternative to IE when it is required. I have clients
that require IE as well, however there is a need greater than being able
to use IE itself there is another plugin that is needed.

the kicker is the last time the plugin was updated was 2005. The
plugin is abandoned, and to make it even worse is that this is
required by a State office.

Bigpaws
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: