VectorLinux
April 20, 2014, 04:05:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: new install trouble  (Read 1408 times)
Speedbump

« on: June 21, 2010, 02:36:03 am »

I'm looking for a step by step guide to install lite 6.I have tried several times and it keeps giving me an error.Puppy and absolute install fine so it is some thing with the vector image I think or it could be me lol.I am really not use to the way this installs and all the questions.I need a guide that explains how to partition the hd and install vector if one is out there.I figured it would be a sticky in the install section but no luck.Any help would be great thanks in advance.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 05:24:07 am »

What kind of error are you getting and at what point in the install process?

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 07:31:59 am »

You might also take a look at the install videos at

http://www.opensourcebistro.com/.

I have not reviewed the install videos so can't say much.  I think they are independently produced.  But I have used some of stretchedthin's learning videos on that site and they were great.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Speedbump

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 10:23:21 am »

ok I see were I messed up thanks for the link to the video.I well try to install again when I get a chance.If I get an error again on install I will post back on what exactly went wrong.
Speedbump

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 04:54:37 am »

Installed no trouble at all!  In fact I installed no less than five times trying to get usable video.The light edition must be fubar for some reason.Waste of my time.No errors just a black screen with vesa and garbled video with the normal set up.You know it would be one thing if it at least started before I ran into trouble.At least I would have gotten a look at it for all my trouble.Any suggestions from anyone on a lite distro for a old p3 please let me know.No distros based on ubuntu or debian please.I'm looking for a slackware distro with firefox and good security or a distro that addresses security with a basic set of rules for iptables till I can get around to tweaking it my self.Thanks for the help all. The vids really helped before I hit a dead end.
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 07:06:21 am »

If you can boot into a text-based environment, try entering vxconf at the prompt to try and configure the video.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 08:35:21 pm »

VL 6.0 should work fine on a p3. If I remember correctly, I boot into the TUI and as Daniel says, play with vxconf which, I believe is in /sbin.  If I recall, the video will usually work if I reduce the depth.  Something like that.  Don't have time right now to check. 

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Alimao

Linux NO WINDOWS

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 10:28:34 pm »

Hi.

I have a celeron 365MHz im tring despertly to put the litle version to run. without success.

it's given me error by config of the video and then he boots up the screen blocks with strange colors. any ideas to solve the issue?

i already tried vesa and another options my old timer laptop is a 128 mb Ram with a Trident video 9525 card.

works ok with dream linux. VC L Standard taked upto 9h to install  Huh and Xubuntu 10h  Undecided.

what can i do to solve the problem with the instalation instalation any suggestions?
2 nd question why it's taking so long the instalation from the standart version?

Smiley im a newbe in this Vector linux in linux i know but im not expert!:) just love open source and wanna learn more about this Smiley

Toshiba 2550CDT
Celeron 385Mhz
128MB RAM
4.5 GB
Trident Video 9525 DVD
NOW running: -Vector linux 6.0 SD -
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 03:40:31 am »

Alimao,

It would be most helpful if you make one original post for each of your problems, in the appropriate section of the forum.
Alimao

Linux NO WINDOWS

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 03:58:07 am »

OK sorry it's done  Cry

Toshiba 2550CDT
Celeron 385Mhz
128MB RAM
4.5 GB
Trident Video 9525 DVD
NOW running: -Vector linux 6.0 SD -
Pages: [1]
  Print