VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 970 times)

Wargrum

Greetings!
« on: July 28, 2010, 10:56:25 pm »

Hi all,

I'm a near total nubie with Linux. Briefly played with slackware 10 on a really old Toshiba Satellite a few years back, but got totally peeved with my lack of understanding on how to adjust user permissions and get anything new installed beyond the initial system install.

Was looking for something more civilized to run my slightly more modern Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 with than Windows 98, and decided to give linux another go. And arrived here.  :)

So far so good... I'm using a Vectorlinux OS to write this message on said lappy. Just need to figure out how to get the S3 Video working..... using VESA at the moment, but it doesnt want to do 1024x768 and is really slow.

Wish me luck.... you'll prolly see me around asking "dumb" questions in the near future.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 05:21:59 am »

Hello Wargrum, welcome to Vector.

This forum exist to answer questions, don't hesitate to ask. If you can not find a solution using the search field above, head over to the "Hardware and Drivers" section and make a new post regarding your video system.

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 11:23:20 am »

Greetings back,

There is a recent thread about another toshiba satellite which you might find interesting.

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=12068.0

I think the subject is How to set toshet . . .
VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511