VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: VL5.9.1 upgrade to VL 6.0; no panel in KDE  (Read 1476 times)

myzomela

VL5.9.1 upgrade to VL 6.0; no panel in KDE
« on: June 22, 2010, 01:41:48 am »

Any ideas on this one?

I was running VL 5.9.1 on an old Dell Pentium III. Using XFCE, but with KDE libs installed so I could use a few KDE apps.

I recently moved the two hard disks out of the Dell box and attached them to a Gigabyte 915G motherboard with Pentium 4 HT processor and Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS video.

I installed VL 6.0, deluxe edition, including just about everything off the second CD. Including KDE. I reformatted the / partition for a clean installation, but retained the /home partition from the VL5.9.1 installation.

XFCE runs fine, but on this box I want to run KDE.

BUT ... when I log in to KDE, I get no panel and no desktop icons.  I wondered if part of my ~/.kde directory might contain a pile of KDE 3.x configuration which is incompatible with KDE 4.2, so I renamed ~/.kde out of harm's way.  No change: still no panel and no icons.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  I'm a complete newbie to KDE 4, having only seen a few screenshots. (I know the deluxe edition includes 14 days support, but delays in getting the hardware together burned that up before I even started the installation.)

bigpaws

• Vectorian
Re: VL5.9.1 upgrade to VL 6.0; no panel in KDE
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 09:53:15 am »

There are other files used besides ~/.kde

I believe ~/.config and possibly ~/.local may have
other files.

You can test by creating a test user and see if that is the problem, then use that
as your template to work with.

HTH

Bigpaws

myzomela

Re: VL5.9.1 upgrade to VL 6.0; no panel in KDE
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 01:25:33 pm »

Thanks, but no luck.  I have three users (root, the old ex-VL591 user and the newly-created test user) all with the same useless desktop.

Hmmm.