VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 08:57:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Config error on install?? :-/  (Read 1127 times)
Earth-616

« on: June 22, 2010, 02:44:24 am »

Hi finished my install yesterday but on booting thos morning i got this a msg saying error with x and to run diagnostic log? i did this and the error was:

Log file: "/var/log/xorg.0.log
Using config file: "/etc/x11/xorg.conf"

Data Incomplete in file:/etc/x11/xorg.conf
   At least one device section is required
(EE) Problem parsing the config file
(EE) Error parsing the config file

Fatal server error
no screens found

Any ideas?? running a dell inspiron 4000 + install from downloaded cd, all burned ok & checked disc.

Would it be a issue with the resolution??

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 03:58:31 am by Earth-616 » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 03:56:08 am »

Wow, that red text is hard to read.

Try to select "linux-tui" from the boot menu. Log in as root. Run command "vxconf". If it completes successfully, test your configuration with command "startx".
Earth-616

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 04:02:29 am »

Sorry about the red, hope the black is better. only option i have at boot is Vector. no other options, fairly new to this so appreciate the help.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 07:38:51 am »

I guess you installed a Live CD version?

Still, it sounds like you do get to a working command line.
Log in as root, run command "vliloconf". It should create a new boot menu with the "tui" entry.
Also, do try the commands I mentioned above.
Speedbump

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 05:05:48 am »

I had this error as well one time with 6 lite.this has to be a bug from xorg upstream maybe.It does stink when you can't even install.Just sucks the fun right out of the whole thing.Me I give it a few tries and if it does not work right or is buggy I just move on.Xorg is where my trouble is at but works fine on other distros like puppy for me.Absolute gives errors while booting but still it boots.Another problem with xorg.I'm still waiting for the linux community to figure out that x and pulse have been compromised by either MS or Mac.Maybe it just seems that way to me.Who knows.One thing for sure something is not right.
Earth-616

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 07:41:33 am »

Its not the live version just vector 6 standard. tried the command you said where is says boot but says cannot find kernel?? im going to try a reinstall with a lower resolution and see if that helps.
hardtime

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 09:57:37 pm »

nvidia problem.

I've had my install fail after the 'Hold tight!' screen.
These failures occurred while using nVidia GeForce 7100 and nVidia GeForce 8200.
I worked around the problem by temporarily using a different graphics card.
nVidia GeForce 6200 and ATI Radeon HD4550 both work.
On the first boot after the install, I installed the '185' proprietary driver
and '7100' and '8200' worked just fine.
There must be a software solution.

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 12:10:48 am »

I would use the old installer (type "linux" at the first prompt).  When the installer gets to xorg or some such (can't recall exactly) that is where you need to pay a lot of attention.  It may give you options re ati or radeon (or some such).  Try them all and see if one works.  If none work, try vesa.  Then if that still doesn't work boot into the tui, go to xorg.conf and reduce the 24 depth to 16 or some such.  My two cents.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: