Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Hi Everyone! I'm Brand New To Vector Linux  (Read 665 times)

Aunt Clyde

Hi Everyone! I'm Brand New To Vector Linux
« on: June 23, 2010, 08:38:32 pm »

Hi everyone!

I'm brand new to Vector Linux, but I'm not a Linux newbie, since I've been using Ubuntu for the past two years.  I wanted to try Vector Linux Light because I found Ubuntu 10.04 to be very slow.  Also, my laptop is not exactly new.  I have 512 megs of RAM. 

Anyway, I was finally able to install Vector Linux Light 6.0.  However, and I feel like a big klutz, I totally forgot my login name.  I actually don't remember being asked for a login name when I was installing and configuring the OS.  I do remember setting up a hostname, which for me is 

So if any of you have any idiot-proof suggestions on how I can retrieve my login name, that would be great. 

Thank you very much.

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Hi Everyone! I'm Brand New To Vector Linux
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 04:15:40 am »

Hi Aunt Clyde,

Welcome to Vector, hope it will suit your needs.

If you installed the Live version, the password is "vector" for users root and vl.
On a traditional install, you may have skipped the creation of user and/or password, in which case you should be able to log in as root with a blank password. Once logged in, look in /home to see what users are on the system. Ignore the "ftp" user, it is a system account for package management.

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16
Re: Hi Everyone! I'm Brand New To Vector Linux
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 05:46:03 am »

welcome to VL Aunt Clyde,
Hope you find the distro to your liking and will stick around for a long time.
Enjoy :)
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608