VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 06:58:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi Everyone! I'm Brand New To Vector Linux  (Read 537 times)
Aunt Clyde

« on: June 23, 2010, 07:38:32 pm »

Hi everyone!

I'm brand new to Vector Linux, but I'm not a Linux newbie, since I've been using Ubuntu for the past two years.  I wanted to try Vector Linux Light because I found Ubuntu 10.04 to be very slow.  Also, my laptop is not exactly new.  I have 512 megs of RAM. 

Anyway, I was finally able to install Vector Linux Light 6.0.  However, and I feel like a big klutz, I totally forgot my login name.  I actually don't remember being asked for a login name when I was installing and configuring the OS.  I do remember setting up a hostname, which for me is lisa.linux.net. 

So if any of you have any idiot-proof suggestions on how I can retrieve my login name, that would be great. 

Thank you very much.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 03:15:40 am »

Hi Aunt Clyde,

Welcome to Vector, hope it will suit your needs.

If you installed the Live version, the password is "vector" for users root and vl.
On a traditional install, you may have skipped the creation of user and/or password, in which case you should be able to log in as root with a blank password. Once logged in, look in /home to see what users are on the system. Ignore the "ftp" user, it is a system account for package management.
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 04:46:03 am »

welcome to VL Aunt Clyde,
Hope you find the distro to your liking and will stick around for a long time.
Enjoy Smiley
Dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: