VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 02:44:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to delete GRUB Boot Menu...  (Read 770 times)
Cariboo
Vectorite

« on: June 20, 2010, 04:39:37 am »

Hello all,
On an older Computer I have a Dual Boot system installed - Windows XP and VL.
I want to sell this computer and the potential buyer only wants WindowsXP.
I formatted the Linux Partition to NTFS/FAT32 to delete the VL installation. When I start the computer. the GRUB BOOT Menu still comes up and asks which of the OS to boot.
As I learned so far, the GRUB BOOT Menu is located in the MBR (Master Boot record, first section on the 1. Hard Drive). Question is:
How can I access the MBR and change it so that Windows automatically starts without a need to select it from the GRUB BOOT Menu Huh

Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 04:44:27 pm »

If you have a WinXP install disc, boot from it and select the "repair" option, which will bring you to the recovery console. Run command "fixmbr" and it should write a new Windows only entry.

You can also set GRUB to automatically boot Windows without any delay. The procedure is different depending on version you have, is it "grub legacy" or "grub2"?
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 10:57:40 pm »

You can also set GRUB to automatically boot Windows without any delay. The procedure is different depending on version you have, is it "grub legacy" or "grub2"?

I had VL 5 installed so I think it's "grub legacy".
Anyway, I will try your first suggestion with the XP system CD and the "repair" option", except the procedure you mentioned is more elegant to solve the issue Huh Roll Eyes

Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: