VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 01:28:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving taskbar and start menu in VL light  (Read 825 times)
daemonhunter743

« on: June 26, 2010, 03:44:26 pm »

This may or may not be easy, but I gave VL6 light a whirl and I like it except I am not crazy about having the start menu/taskbar down at the bottom of the screen.  I prefer it at the top.  Is it possible to move the menu/taskbar to the top of the screen?  I have not been able to figure it out myself if it can be done.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 05:44:45 pm »

This may or may not be easy, but I gave VL6 light a whirl and I like it except I am not crazy about having the start menu/taskbar down at the bottom of the screen.  I prefer it at the top.  Is it possible to move the menu/taskbar to the top of the screen?  I have not been able to figure it out myself if it can be done.

Look in ~/.icewm/preferences. Find this line:
#  Task bar at top of the screen
# TaskBarAtTop=0 # 0/1

Remove the # so the line reads:
#  Task bar at top of the screen
TaskBarAtTop=1 # 0/1

Save the file. Then go to the "Start" menu, select Logout,  Restart Icewm. Your Taskbar will now be at the top. You don't have to exit IceWM, just select Logout, Restart Icewm.

While you're in the Preferences file, take a good look around. You'll see that IceWM is almost infinitely customizable.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 05:56:29 pm »

While I was typing, GrannyGeek beat me to the short answer. She also provided other icewm help that pointed me in the right direction in this thread: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=11279

The thread lead me to attach the icewm documentation which was not provided. Had to download the source tarball to get "hardcopy". The attachment is just the docs.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 09:21:31 pm by sixforty » Logged

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 06:56:55 pm »

Thanks so much for posting the documentation files. I'm happy to have them on my Light system now.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 06:59:03 pm »

Any idea why so many docs that're in source don't make it to the VL packages?

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 09:52:51 pm »

More than likely to reduce the space needed on the installation CD.

Bigpaws
daemonhunter743

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 10:12:15 pm »

Thanks everyone,

It worked great and those files have been very useful.  Looks like this one is in the bag.  With VL light I am getting even more bang for my buck with my 2133 Mini Note.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 01:40:12 pm »

I am a great IceWM fan, lightweight and quite configurable.   I know a little old fashioned looking and doesn't work with all the eye candy out there, but then I find most of the eyecandy a distraction.  I like having a simple cpu load monitor and internet traffic monitor and can add quick launch icons to the task bar.  Simple and elegant, I have even made my own vector linux theme, and its really easy to do.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: