VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 01:56:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CPUfreq or equivalent for VL light?  (Read 1254 times)
daemonhunter743

« on: June 26, 2010, 10:28:35 pm »

I noticed that VL light does not have cpufreq installed and when I looked for it in GSLAPT and selected it for install I got a warning that it was missing a dependency (gambas)  and may not work right.  So I selected no.  Now I can't even select it for install in GSLAPT.  How can I install cpufreq on VL light or is there some equivalent CPU scaling program for VL light?
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 11:08:41 pm »

The package's slack-required file lists gambas-runtime >=2.15 | gambas >= 2.15
I believe the proper names are gambas2-runtime, etc., so the dependant isn't found.

Nice catch. Not that that helps you, sorry.

Someone should fix this, but you might work around it by choosing "continue anyway", then be sure to check the "download only" box after clicking "apply". Untar the package, fix the reference, repack the files. Install gambas2-runtime (gambas2 if you prefer) and install vcpufreq using upgradepkg --install-new /path/to/new/vcpufreq.pkg.tlz .

Better yet, post a request for the change to "New Package Requests", mentioning vcpufreq 2.2.0-i586-1vl60.

My guess is that most that're using cpufreq are using the xfce4 plugin, so the problem's not been both noticed and noted.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 11:13:04 pm »

Reading the description, you'll also need to load the appropriate cpufreq module for your system. No idea where it's at, can be found, or whether it's in kernel now. Thought I'd best mention it anyway.

edit: Forgot we're both on VIA. Assuming it's C7, locate e_powersaver shows modules in /lib/modules . . .e_powersaver.ko for both of my available kernels. Smiley   Haven't tried manually setting up module loading, but I remember it's a simple command. Shouldn't be hard to find.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 11:20:18 pm by sixforty » Logged

Robert
daemonhunter743

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 11:23:44 pm »

Thanks for the hints.  I downloaded and installed cpufreq without the missing dependency and then downloaded the Gambas runtime independently afterwards and I just launched cpufreq and set it to on demand and Conky is reporting it is scaling the CPU properly so it seems to be working properly.  I does not seem like I will need to download any kind of cpu module.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 04:47:09 am »

I think that the latest version of vcpufreq (2.2.1) is not available in repo yet. Keep an eye out for it.
daemonhunter743

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 10:52:24 pm »

There is one problem I have noticed.  It seems after a reboot cpufreq reverts to the userspace governor and does not save the setting for the ondemand governor.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 03:40:30 am »

That is fixed in 2.2.1. You also need to make sure this line is in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
/sbin/vcpufreq-loader.gambas

I'm attaching the file I have. Realize it is not "official", but it does work great on my machines.

daemonhunter743

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 04:10:03 pm »

Thanks.  I installed it.  We will see if it works any better.
daemonhunter743

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 04:03:22 am »

Well I upgraded to the newer version of cpufreq and it does work if I open the program and set the governor manually every time I start up the computer.  The option to save the settings does not actually do anything.  It worked just fine with VL standard edition what is so different about VL light that seems to break this program?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 04:35:42 am »

Did you verify that the line
Code:
/sbin/vcpufreq-loader.gambas
is in /etc/rc.d/rc.local?
daemonhunter743

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 06:40:46 pm »

Yes.  I doublechecked that.
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 07:36:05 pm »

If you put
Code:
/bin/env > somefile
at the top of rc.local in both standard and light, do the differences in somefile tell you anything useful?

Robert
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 03:33:59 am »

Do you see any startup messages from vcpufreq?
Code:
cat /var/log/messages | grep vcpufreq

What happens if you try to start it from the command line?
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 05:38:03 pm »

You can run /sbin/vcpufreq-loader.gambas as root in a console and post the output here.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: